Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a komatsu sk815, has new fuel shut off solenoid, new…

Customer Question
I have a komatsu...

I have a komatsu sk815, has new fuel shut off solenoid, new real and a small module that powers the relay, if i drive it slow it works, if i drive fast or drop the bucket hard it stop and i have to press the red button to make it move or other times i drop the bucket hard and it dies, starts right up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial number(###) ###-####product model 37a-54-14aoo machine model sk-***-***-****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

I see you replace the fuel shutoff solenoid. If this is dying, I would check between your fuel tank and the fuel pump for any restrictions or leaks within your fuel lines. Replace your fuel filters and empty the existing fuel filters into a clear container to look for contamination. If all of this checks out okay, further confirm with a clear hose or site glass in line on the suction side and also the return side to monitor for air bubbles as they should be little to none. If you have confirmed all of this , the fuel shutoff solenoid is good, check for weak fuel delivery from the fuel injection lines indicating a worn-out injection pump that is in need of rebuild by a fuel injection shop. It should spray out under pressure. If it just barely trickles out of the injection pump with good fuel supply to the injection pump, it's an indication of a faulty injection pump. If your fuel system checks out okay, check your air intake piping and your turbo for problems. Make sure there are no leaks or restrictions in your air intake piping as well as no problems with your turbo. If all of this on the engine side of things is working properly, I would next check to see if there is any sign of hydraulic problems that could be putting the engine under an extreme load causing it to stall. Check inside your hydraulic filter for fine metal or debris that would confirm a pump or component failure occurring. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter. If this is clean, you will also want to have your pressures and flows tested to be sure they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number machine service book. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

I dont see a turbo, so i went to go try it out and it turn on and it shut off by it self, i can hear the shut off solenoid click on and off, so i turn the key on and it starts and dies right away, i believe the issue has to do with the solenoid,

Thank you for the update. Use a voltage tester to see if possibly you are losing voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid indicating that the machine controller is for some reason disconnecting power to the fuel shut off solenoid. Be sure to check all of your fuses and relays as well as for any fault codes that might help narrow down a problem circuit which may be commanding a shutdown.

It finally turn on and went to drive it, whats it doing now, its not cutting off but it will stop and the red button will light up, i press it and it will keep working but will stop again and agian press the red button and will work, its not cutting off like before, would the switch on the arm rest be the problem, its like if i was lifting the safety arms up and stopping the machine
Thank you for the updated information. It does sound like either your seat safety switch, or your lap bar or door switch or circuit could potentially be your problem. If your safety interlock switches or wiring are sending a signal to the controller that any of those switches are not engaged or potentially a wiring issue is occurring, You could experience these symptoms.
This is an old skit, dont have a door , and the seat switch has been bypass
I would check out all of those circuits to verify continuity through the wiring and to your controller. Check all of your switches, fuses, and relays as well.