Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My bobcat T190 bobtach stopped working. I installed a new…

My bobcat T190 bobtach...

My bobcat T190 bobtach stopped working. I installed a new switch before troubleshooting anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Still not working. Today I checked for power at the switch and found none. I jumped power from the unused socket next to the switch. Now the bobtach opens from the switch but will not close from the switch. It will however close when I curl the bucket back to the extreme with my right foot control. The machine is 2006 Bobcat T190 track loader serial number###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

3/27/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

I do believe on most of these quick connect attachments, you do have to curl the attachment all the way for the curl function to go over relief and then relock the quick connect. That is a common design that is even used on excavator and loader quick connects as well. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

This machine has an up down wedge switch that always worked in both directions all the time.Was it wise to jump power to the switch without finding the real problem

On any newer machine that has any electronic control modules, it is not wise to jump power in a circuit as you could always have the risk of back feeding power to the control module and causing damage.

That’s what I was afraid of.
That said, how can I fix this properly

Usually anything related to the controller is going to require the Bobcat software to connect so you can monitor all of your parameters in live time as well as switch status, etc.. By chance,are you getting any fault codes logged? Press and hold the light switch to see if any fault codes come onto the hour meter display .

I checked for error codes daily and found none

Let me check the service book for any schematics or troubleshooting help on this circuit.

Text me when you have something (###) ###-####I tried entering it online but it would not take it
Thanks

Click below for the Ops manual if you do not have it just to confirm the operational steps.As you can see, there is supposed to be constant hydraulic pressure on those pistons once that is locked. This very well could be a problem within the controller or another electrical problem within the wiring or connector pins that could have occurred when power was jumped at the switch but, there's still can be a potential hydraulic problem as well going on here that may need hydraulic test gauges to check your pressures. The reason this might lean more towards electrical is because you are able to get pressure to that circuit when deadheading your bucket functions. In order to determine whether or not the controller is involved or a software related issue, I would check all of your wiring and connector pins within that circuit to confirm whether or not there is any type of corrosion, damage, or open circuits and if all of your wiring and switches check out okay, I would then move on to having this plugged into the Bobcat software to see if maybe it is software related or a problem with the controller itself.

Question: could low hydraulic oil and low charge pressure cause some sort of lockout. Last summer I experienced hydraulic oil leak resulting in auto shutdown. The final drive motor fittings corroded and leaked. I made the repairs and everything else works fine. Is this somehow related

If the controller actually detected a fault and logged a code to shut things down, that would be one thing. So to know if it was actually the controller shutting your machine down, you would've had to of documented the faults or any detected faults that were logged at the time. Low charge pressure can cause a loss of control functions as that is your control pressure. So mechanically, that can cause problems with your hydraulic options for sure. Another thing to be sure of is whether or not there is any fine metal or debris your hydraulic filter or oil that would indicate that there is a component pump failure occuring. It would look like glitter in the filter and oil is present.

Ok.
I changed the hydraulic filter under the cab yesterday. I saved the oil from the filter. I didn’t see any metal but I will look closer again. Thanks for the infoCan you send me the service manual pdf

I have the T190 G series 527*** and up

I sent over premium service offer for filesharing. If interested in once accepted let me know what email you would like me to send the access link over to. I will be able to get that over to you on my next available login. I am actually logging out for a little bit now as I have to have dinner with my family but I will be logged back in later this evening for any follow-ups.

Dan, Technician