Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 287b that it cranks up fine. but i have no

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 287b that it cranks up fine. but i have no joystick controls

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

287b

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cat0287blzsa03959

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We thought is was the coupler between the engine and pump. but the hydraulic driven cooling fan is still running

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/23/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

ok
thank you

If you have no joystick controls whatsoever, this could be the pump drive coupling slipping or has failed but if that has been confirmed turning the pumps, check inside your hydraulic filter for any fine metal or debris which would confirm or flag a potential pump or component failure occurring. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. If this checks okay, be sure to check all of your safety interlock switches and wiring for any problems. This would be your lap bar switch, seat switch, and door switch if equipped with an enclosed cab option. If any of these switches or wiring are not engaged allowing the ECM to release the parking brake and allow functions to operate, they will be disabled. Be sure to test all of your fuses and check all of your relays as well. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Check for any flashing lights or indicators on the display panel as well and let me know if you have any flashing or that are on constantly.

i originally thought it was the coupler. the cat dealer had me check the cooling fan to see if it was running and it was. ive checked all my fuses. the hydraulic quick coupler for the bucket is still operating. but no track motion or boom motion
Thank you for the update. Run through the checks and I have suggested and follow up with the results.
i have checked all the fuses and relays. also the safety switches still nothing. could it be the ecm

Very well could be the ECM or the need for a software update through your dealer if you have ruled out all other possibilities.

ok

An update to the software and recalibration would be the first step before ECM replacement.