Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 7810 gehl skid loader with a Perkins engine. I’ve…

Customer Question
I have a 7810 gehl...
I have a 7810 gehl skid loader with a Perkins engine. I’ve been having starting problems for awhile. It started one day I ran it out of fuel at that time I replaced the fuel filter and water separator bleed the system got it going run great but over the next few months It seems to have gotten worse. Even after the engine is at operating temperature and I shut it off for 5 minutes it is hard starting it smoke white smoke. The engine runs great once it’s running. It doesn’t use oil and has very good power. I use starting fluid to get it started and that works but I would like to find out the problem. Any idea?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/1/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Does it have a manual fuel lift pump, not electric? Run a test lone from the lift pump inlet, back into the fuel tank filler opening, and run test, if it still acts up, replace the lift pump.

It has an electric lift pump

OK< run the same test and see if it makes any difference. The fuel pump should have a check valve and keep the fuel lines full after the pump.

Sounds good I will try that and get back to you. Thanks!

OK>