Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D5G LGP dozer I need to remove track and take final…

I have a D5G...

I have a D5G LGP dozer I need to remove track and take final drive off was run without oil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

5XK36694

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am . Just in shed at moment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have never worked on a dozer in this area before

2/18/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

ok thanks

In the center of the track frame, open up the cover to access your track adjuster fitting. Loosen up your track adjuster relief fitting to allow your track adjuster to retract and loosen. Find your master link as you will need a track press to press the track pin out after removing several trackpads to be able to get in there with a track press. If you are on a firm concrete pad, you can safely crib up the machine to where the track guards at the lower track frame are high enough to allow the track chain and track assembly to be pulled from the rear of the machine once the track is split. You can actually use any link to press but sometimes there is a master link indicated by a round indent or recess on the track pin. Once the track is removed you will have access to your final drive sprocket and final drive gearbox. Is it just the final drive gearbox that you need to remove for rebuild or replacement?

I am pulling up the final drive removal procedure from my manuals. please give me some time to pull this information.

Were you planning on rebuilding the gearbox yourself or sending it out? Or are you just replacing it with another one. I just want to know so I know what information you are going to need. I was field service for Milton Caterpillar.

I am not sure what I will need to take off is there a drive motor inside final drive that could be affected by lack of oil I would like to do the live phone conversation but won't be able to start on it for a day or so. So do you want to talk now or wait

Once you have your track out of the way and pulled from the machine, you can then drain your final and remove the mounting bolts with it cribbed safely for removal. Click on the link below for the assembly and disassembly instructions. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Service information

A phone conversation is not necessary on this one. We can follow up as needed on here.

What are you wearing?

Many hats for sure.

I don't know who sent that but it wasn't methank you I will see how it goes

You're very welcome. I sent a message over the website to get those posts removed.

when I take final drive off does it unbolt from drive pump or can you slide

It is splined. It will slide off of the splines. To remove your drive motors, you remove the rear cover and then the cover on the bottom between the drives. Once you disconnect all of your lines to your drive motors and remove the mounting hardware, you can lower the drive motor through the bottom cover under the machine.

****

****

This is the rear cover to access the drive motor hoses and mounting hardware.

Dan, Technician