Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

What is the charge to use your services? I have a 1988 JCP…

Customer Question
What is the charge...

What is the charge to use your services?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.

OK. I have a 1988 JCP Backhoe. I am just getting it running as it sat for over 8 yrs. I drained all the fluids and replaced all the filters but the fuel filter until last week. I think I had air in the lines so I followed the manuals instructions to bleed the air out, but even after doing so the tractor would run for while ie three or four minutes than die. So I then replaced the filter and bowl but even after bleeding the lines and cranking for a bit I can't see but a small amount of diesel in the bowl. That was yesterday. The battery seemed to be having a tough time cranking the starter so charged the battery all night and even took it into NAPA where I bought the battery and had them ck it, its fine. But now today the starter does not crank over at all. I have checked all the safety stuff that I know of. Wondering if its a solinaid or starter. I don't hear a clicking noise when I turn the key so I'm thinking probably not that but sent a friend of mine to purchase a voltage meter so we can ck. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

.JCB 14BN2098/340426/T

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

what is the model machine? I see the serial number but what model?

I don't know. Normally for parts that is all that is needed.I have the manual and per that its a 14B, Engine is not turb0, two wheel drive, backhoe with centermountAs stated earlier the yr built is 1988

No worries. If the bleed procedure allowed the engine to run but then stalling shortly after, it's an indication that you are still sucking in air from somewhere. Thoroughly inspect all of your fuel lines between your fuel tank and the fuel pump for any leaks or restrictions. Look for any dry rotted hoses that are cracking and could be sucking in air. Also, check to make sure that your fuel filter is sealed properly and not sucking in air as well. Check for contaminated fuel by dumping your old fuel filter into a clear container to look for any type of contamination such as water or debris and sediment. If this checks okay, install a clear hose or site glass to monitor for air bubbles as there should be little to none on both the suction side and the return side. Check all of your fuses and relays. Using a voltage tester, verify that you have power at the fuel shutoff solenoid with the ignition switch in the on position. Slightly cracked loose your injector lines while cranking and look for strong fuel delivery from the injection pump. You should get a little bit of a high-pressure spray from each injector line. If it comes out under low volume or pressure, it's an indication of a worn out and tired injection pump that is in need of rebuild by a few injection shop. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thanks

You're very welcome.