Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How do you test drive motor and brake assembly on a SL 6635…

How do you test...

How do you test drive motor and brake assembly on a SL 6635 GEHL skid steer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

SL6635 11 ser #600325

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i had all the pumps rebuilt and tested i pulled one return line caped it and brake released but no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has 5 lines two to the pump one brake hose and a forward reverse line

2/12/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

i am trying to figure out how to test the drive motor and brake system on a GEHL sl6635 skid steer i had the 3 pumps tested the right brake wont completely release but will move the left motor dont have power forward or reverse
In order to test your drive motors, disconnect the case drain hose and run a hose from the case drain port into an empty 5 gallon bucket.You want to be up against a loading dock or something equivalent to prevent actual movement so you can deadhead that drive from moving. You would then engage travel on that drive while monitoring the amount of case drain oil flow from the drive motor port. You should see a very low volume of case drain oil. Compare both sides and if you find that you have high pressure or volume of case drain, that drive is bad with excessive internal leakage.You will also want to check for signs of fine metal or debris within your hydraulic filter that would flag a pump or component failure occurring. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.
this is what looses me there is one line to the back for the brake and 4 lines to the motor the two big ones forward revers one from pump to the bottom and one to return system the return has major flow i caped it and the brake released but no power to it the pump pressure is good
you still there
The return is your case drain. It should be a low pressure line for a return. You should not have an extremely high volume of oil.Check the same on the other side. Compare both sides.
i did same fl ow this is where im getting lost i am a journey man mechanic for 40 years i cant find the small case drain all these are high pressure hoses
Can you take a photo of the lines at your drive motor and upload it here so I can take a look? Also the manuals should be on the manufacturer's website for this lift and in most cases the electrical and hydraulic schematics are in those manuals as well.
i cn try to get a picture later i got to go up on the pass to work on a tiller for a snow groomer thanks for your help
Sounds good. I have to go check out a no start condition myself.
Dan, Technician
I hope it's not snowing and cold where you are I'm in steamboat springs Colorado

Thank you for the update. I do not have the schematic to be able to tell you which hose is which either with 100% certainty. I do know that you can follow the main pressure lines right from the pump to the drive motor so you can rule those out, then you should have a brake release.