Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 9010b case escavator that needs to have the

controls changed over to cat...
I have a 9010b case escavator that needs to have the controls changed over to cat controls. we have changed the lines at the box and the controls worked for the most. we did find that the boom down didn't go down intill you moved the left control stick just a little forward then the boom down worked fine.
1/30/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Click on the link below to access the pattern change chart. Case and kobelco utilize the same chart. Also, any time there is no chart available, you will basically identify your pilot lines for boom in and out and arm in and out. You will swap the control lines for boom up with arm in and the control lines for boom down with arm out at the pilot control manifold behind the operators cab. Some machines are fitted with a pattern change valve which prevents you from having to swap the actual lines. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

what is the best way to change from case controls to cat controls. is the a color code diagram for that. do you change the lins on the joy sticks or on the control bock. if on the control block do you change both side of block or just lines from control stick to bottom of block. or do you change only on top of the control block to rams

You only change one side at the control block. There should be numbers on either the lines themselves or should be tags on the lines to match those numbers. Any time you don't have a chart or they're not numbered you would just need to trace the lines to the cylinder at the main control valve and then tag each function going to the main control valve. Your pilot lines go to the end caps on the main control valve to shift the spools. You can switch them at either side of the valve but you would only switch them once. I usually would switch them where there is the most slack on the hoses. You will likely have to remove them from the hose clamps to be able to gain enough slack in some cases.

I did change the lines after making a chart on my own before getting info from you. the controls seamed to work. but when we operated the main boom. it would go up but not down. cat controls are main boom up and down on the right stick. now the stick operation is on the left control stick. what we found out if you operate the stick control joy stick just a little without moving the stick the boom would operate normal. did we do something wrong or is there another issue

If the functions work normally before swapping the pilot lines, it is very possible that something was swapped incorrectly. I would put the lines back to the way they were and start over. It is likely that there could've been one line that was improperly swapped.

Do you know what the color code is swap for going from Case to cat

Both control patterns have already been covered. One is SAE, and the other one is most commonly known as John Deere controls and not case. It's basically switching your boom and arm controls from one side to the other.

I thought so. Thanks

You're very welcome.

Dan, Technician
we're still experiencing issues with the chart your provided, it doesn't match up to the machine were currently working on. we made our own chart from the current connections on the machine and swapped lines as necessary. we had proper control of all functions except the right control stick will not let boom control down function without the left stick operating (stick out) at the same time. the only function that doesn't work like it should is the boom down with the right stick. all functions worked correctly before swapping.
Thank you for the update. What you want to do then is swap the lines at the main control valve where they actually shift the spools in the main control valve on the end caps. If there is not enough hose, you can have an extension hose made at any local hose shop to extend the length that you need. Or you can swap it at the pilot manifold block tracing it out between the control valve to that block if there is more room there.