Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 299d2 and it has loss of power. I changed the…

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 299d2 and it has loss of power. I changed the fuel and air filters and it starts right up but after 2 mins it slowly losses power till it won’t move. It isles fine just now power.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 299d2 fd202663

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a meme we ship and asked the same question to someone but I haven’t received a response yet

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/26/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

It sounds like you have a restriction in the fuel supply. See the image below for some testing of the supply.

This is for a low fuel pressure code too. If you don't have the code is not a concern. It still is a good basic test for the supply.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Could it be because of that?

No that is from bad DEF. Did someone put diesel or washer fluid in the DEF tank? I have seen that before. If it is just weak DEF concentration, drain and refill the tank. Then run the engine above half throttle for 40 minutes to see if the code will clear itself. If it does not you must see your dealer to repair the root cause of the code and RESET the system.

Codes to not cause the engine to slowly weaken. That will DERATE the horsepower in stages with warnings and if they are not addressed, the engine will shut off and only run for 30 seconds at each startup.

When you have caused this LOCKOUT, only the dealer can remove the code and that is after all repairs have been made and the system passes a Verification test using the dealers CAT ET software.

This is due to the EPA regulations and no workaround exists at this time.

Ok should I also change the def filter?

If the fluid was contaminated, then yes. If the fluid was weak, the filter should be fine. The service replacement interval is at 3000 hours

the about the power loss...it could be due to about the fuel system?

Yes.

Ok.

Glad I could help. If you do need further help please let me know.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Ok before I disconnect with you...so the skid steer idles and all but just won’t move...so should be something with the fuel system right?

Yes, you do not have enough flow to run the engine at full speed. You stated earlier " starts right up but after 2 mins it slowly loses power till it won’t move". you did not say it was shutting down the engine or the turning on any other warning lights. So, that leads me to believe you have a low flow fuel supply.

That is why I sent you steps to test the fuel supply and verify the issue is fuel supply. If you find the flow or pressure is low, then you are on the right track. If fuel supply flow and pressure are correct, then we can focus on other problems.

Let's eliminate the cheap and easy stuff first. Then you can start spending money on the high dollar items or you may need the dealer to see what other codes are in this machine.

I assume you would have reviewed the logged codes and events and have posted all of them here if any were in the monitor memory.

Ok got ya. I’ll try that out first than

Great! if you do need more help, please let me know,

Thanks again, Don

Ok

Thank you!

Yes.

Just a note, the filer is normally not full. When it does fill, that is an indication the screen in it is plugged.

Also, a loud pump means no fuel. A quiet pump means it has fuel. (The fuel insulates the sound.)

Ok when I turn it on the pump stays much long than Norman and it is loudIt’s pumping loud and pumping longer than normal

It should run 2 to 4 minutes depending on the engine settings.

It will make noise with fuel but, not as loud and harder to hear in the cab.

An empty pump will be very loud and sound like a knock.

Test the pressure and flow to see if it is to spec'.

Before I change the lift pump filter it had debris in it. After I changed it that’s when it started to loose powerI have now way to check the fuel flow and pressure. I’m just going to order a new lift pump and go from there

It will not be completely full either but, yes it should be mostly full and stay that way.

Ok hope it’s the lift pump

It is not likely the lift pump if you just changed it. The noise in it because it does not have fuel going to it.

The fuel supply is restricted. You only need an automotive-type fuel pressure gauge to read the pressure from the line out of the pump.

Since you know the pump is loud, I would start checking the fuel supply lines, fittings and then the tank for trash blocking them.

I haven’t changed the lift pump only the filtersOk I will check the lines

OOPS-typo (The noise is because it does not have fuel going to it.)

Still, the pump is not likely the issue if it is working. The only other problem is maybe trash blocking the inlet fitting.

Remember, start cheap and work your way up to the parts that cost money.

Checking lines, fittings and the tank for trash just takes time, no money needed yet.

Do you have a diagram of what I should be looking for?

Not really, just follow the lines from the lift pump back to the tank.

Also, check the line between the lift pump and the filter.

All other lines should be filtered or returns and are not likely to have a problem.

Ok I’ll check those lines than
Ok thanksThe picture I sent you of the filter....is diesel suppose to be that color? I know it’s diesel but I don’t remember being that color

Green diesel is highway fuel. Red diesel is off-road non-taxed fuel.

I think I found the problem. I blew the line coming from under the fuel pump filter to the gas tank and no fuel would come back up the line than I stuck the air compressor and blew it and fuel started to gush out. The fuel tank must be dirty. How can I clean that out?I’m also low on fuel

You have a drain plug in the bottom of the tank for that purpose. It should be the same hole used to change the oil. If you see the image I sent earlier for the fuel lines, item # 4 is the tube to the bottom of the tank and the drain plug is next to it.

Ok I see it. Also now the fuel pump is a lot quite

It must be getting some fuel now. Still, the tank needs to be drained to find what is in it.

If you find large amounts of trash and it will not drain or flush out, the engine must be removed to remove the fuel tank for a complete washout.

Ok I’m going to drain it and see what it does

Great, good luck! Hopefully, it is just some small debris and will flush out easily.

hopefully thank you

You're welcome!

Also the def code....I poured in fresh def. it won’t hurt if I go ahead and changed the filter also right? I know the code popped up because the def was weak.

Yes, the filter is not too hard to change. If you already purchased it, change it out now. Never leave filters sitting around. They can absorb water from the air and reduce the service life of the filter.

I’m going to order it. I also have to get a new gasket also right?

For the tank, maybe. The DEF filter, no. It comes with a pulling tool and a new o-ring for the cap.

for the tank. Also if that was the problem the blinking yellow light should go away? Only if that was the problem?

Yes, I think it is not at a lockout until the code ends with -3. They give you a short time to make repairs before it will shut down and lockout. If the new DEF clears the DEF quality concentration issue, the DCU computer will clear the code and after 100 hours of operation, the code will disappear from memory.

Ok coolThanks for the great help!

Glad I could help.