Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I need to check out throttle response problem on Caterpillar…

Hi again. I need to...
Hi again. I need to check out throttle response problem on Caterpillar 312C CBA01517..
The dial in cab shows 1 to 10 on computer screen but no response from stepper motor and cables. However you can hear stepper motor set the fuel pump when you turn ignition key on and off. A few seconds after turning ignition off stepper resets. I have checked what wiring I can easily get to. I suspect the problem may be the speed sensor which I have yet to pull out and clean . I need information on how to use the two switches under right arm rest to check things out manually and also how to recalibrate throttle linkages as owner removed cables from fuel pump and ran manually to finish a job. I also found out he ran a jumper wire to stepper somewhere and actually had the motor operate for half an hour before the problem resurfaced.
1/6/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

You can switch the backup mode switch on and the display will show you are in backup mode. The other switch is only a throttle up and down control.

If the engine speed can be controlled from full throttle to stop, then the motor is working. However, you could still have an issue with the feedback signal or other circuits that work with the governor actuator.

I would start with the calibration since the cables have been misadjusted. The key is to enter the monitor service mode, you may need the service password ***** to access the system. Once you get to the G/A calibration, active the procedure. When the screen displays the start position "SP" this will move the cables to the full throttle setting. Go to the engine and set the cable to the full throttle position with a slight tension on the pull up cable and slight slack on the pull down cable. This will set the actuator to the proper postion. If you get a code after completion, turn the adjustment nuts to change the setting and run the calibration again.

See the link below for the procedure to calibrate the governor actuator.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2LzTFFsRG9iTU9ud00

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Thanks Don,
I will try this and get back to you

Ok, thanks

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hi Don, Got back to machine today until driven away by bad weather.Checked the backup mode switch and got engine to rev up so stepper is okay. Adjusted cables to full throttle while in backup mode as I am having trouble getting into service mode in computer, I have your access code but the download you sent me must have expired during the week and I can't retrieve it. Also the computer is putting up a couple of warning codes for low oil level and low fuel level so I have a couple of gremlins in the circuitry somewhere. Will try again tomorrow weather permitting. Regards Craig

That will get the cables somewhat closer but, it is still not accurate and can cause the motor to fail if it keeps a load on the motor. It has a feedback circuit to stop the motor at its selected speed to prevent it burning out the motor or circuits.

Below is a new link for the calibration. Let me know if it does not work.

That worked.Thanks. it is 2.20am here so will try calibration in morning now rain has stopped

No problem. The question will stay open a few days, just keep me posted.

Thanks, Don

Hi Don, Some progress made but when entering command to start calibration I get the numeral 0 for a few seconds,then 1 for a few seconds then Error 16 comes up. What exactly do I need to do to clear this error?

The error codes are on page 7.

It means the feedback is responding too slow. This could be the cables are installed wrong.

Try removing the cable and then install them when the calibration is at SP.

If it still won't work, the feedback signal could be bad or the harness is damaged.

Okay. Will try with cables undone first. There is a join (homemade) in the harness with a heavier gauge wire that might be suspect if that fails. Get back to you next weekend. Craig

Ok, thanks for the update. Keep me posted so the question will stat open.

Hi Don. Made no difference with cables undone from fuel pump so guess the harness must be damaged somewhere. When I reinstalled the cables I notice that the rpm adjustment switch now works whether backup switch is engaged or not? I can see me having to hand this over to the local Cat electrician I think.

I am afraid they will just want to throw a new actuator assembly at it for $1200 plus labor.

Have you looked for active or logged diagnostic codes or event codes in the monitor?

I am assuming you had already done this and only needed to complete the calibration.

Will check out the codes and get back to you

Ok, thanks. I will be looking for your reply.

One active code 69 96 03. 14 logged errors 69- 110- 04,69 -96 -04, 1161 -03 and 04. 1162- 03, 587-03, 588-12 and 254-12. Three logged events 69-100,69-11 and 69-43. Does that give you any ideas? Craig

Thanks. I assumed the code for the feedback signal would be present. Below is a link for testing this code. Let me know if you need more help troubleshooting this code.

Here is a list of the codes you found.

One active code
69 96 03. FUEL LEVEL SENSOR Voltage Above Normal
14 logged errors
69- 110- 04, ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR Voltage Below Normal
69 -96 -04, FUEL LEVEL SENSOR Voltage Below Normal
1161 -03 PRESSURE SENSOR PUMP 1 Voltage Above Normal
and 04. Voltage Below Normal
1162-03, PRESSURE SENSOR PUMP 2 Voltage Above Normal
587-03, FEEDBACK OF GOVERNOR ACTUATOR Voltage Above Normal
588-12, COMMUNICATION PROBLEM MONITOR AND CONTROLLER Failed Component
254-12. ECM Failed Component
Three logged events
69-100, ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LOW
69-11, 17 COOLANT OVERHEAT
69-43. BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_nPlsRsWd9je5Z57Ede-xycGuDkGfq_O

Troubleshoot checked out okay. Actuator had a a broken power(red) wire when I first looked at machine a few weeks back which I joined but didn't test at time as I had injector pump removed. When I turn ignition on the monitor keeps telling me I have low engine oil,low coolant and low hydraulic levels as well as low fuel. As all of these are incorrect readings could I have a different problem. Low fuel level apparently has always come on in this machine but not the others?

The coolant, engine oil, and hydraulic oil level switches have always been an issue. If the level is correct, the switches may have failed. Just try a jumper wire in the connector to see if it will override the warning for testing purposes. The fuel level failure is usually the wires turn off the sensor by someone climbing around in the center of the machine. To correct this problem, if the wires are not damaged, the sensor may need replacing. A jumper wire will not work in the circuit.

Okay

I don't know why they just started coming on, haven't seen that before. Usually, they get in the way when I am trying to access the monitor menus.

Just try the bypassing if they are causing trouble entering the menus.

Okay. Thanks

You're welcome.

Hi Don,
I think we better close off this question as you have put more time into it than anyone could expect for the fee you charge. Thank you for your help. I have the machine operable now (manually) and it is away to do a job tomorrow. Will let you know if I find out what the cause of all this has been . Regards,Craig

Thanks, ***** ***** am glad I could help you. If you do need further help, please feel free to ask for me.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH