Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an old Michigan L320 I'm working on. I need a service…

.I have an old...

.I have an old Michigan L320 I'm working on. I need a service manual or an expert who can help. Machine was made around 1990

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Michigan L320 811AC00409

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes its kind of a hobby of mine. the machine starts and runs great. Hydraulics work. Transmission will not engage forward or reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

This machine is also known as being part of the VME division. Around the time of manufacture Volvo had bought out Michigan and Euclid
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here.

Hi Dan. Any help would be awesomeDo you have knowledge of these machines?Give me a call when you can. I'm off my laptop now and on the road

I worked for a company called CN wood who was the VME dealer. I was there in the mid-90s when Komatsu and VME were sitting on the same lot until they were told they needed to separate the two.

Give me call and let's talk

The first thing you want to do, is check your oil level and condition. You want to look for any signs of discoloration of the oil or burnt smell. Drain your oil and check your filter and suction screen for any metal or debris that would confirm an internal mechanical problem within your transmission that would require disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild. If this is clean, have your pressures checked and tested to confirm whether or not they are within factory specifications. There is also usually a transmission neutralizer function that will transmission into neutral when loading trailers or working in tight quarters when you were to hit the left hand brake pedal. I would check to see if that function is enabled and possibly has any problems causing the symptoms you are experiencing. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

The oil level is good. I'm getting no warning lights course this doesn't mean someone has not bypassed something. I'm pretty sure it's a break pressure issue. Problem is I can't find a service manual on how to the checks and where. I don't think it's the declutching system because it won't reverse or forward. Declutching on blocks forwardThe last time the machine ran it worked good. Sat for awhile and then wouldn't move.I don't believe is a mechanical failure.

I have some pressure specs in my service truck in a cheat book I have for Volvo machines listing the pressures. I will get you some of that information when I am back at my service truck which will be either late this evening or in the morning. I am two hours away from my service truck where that booklet is but I will also see what I can find for you for service books that are available to help you out.

https://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/MICHIGAN%20%28VOLVO%20VME%29%20MANUALS/WHEEL%20LOADER%20%28MICHIGAN%20VME%29%20MANUALS/L%20SERIES%20MACHINES/L320%20%233410%20811A%20%26%20AC%20101-650.PDF

Above is a link to your parts book and also MinnParr is a pretty good vendor to use for Volvo and Michigan parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLARK-MICHIGAN-LIQUID-COOLED-BRAKES-SERVICE-SHOP-REPAIR-MANUAL-3616-L320-/302833976643

Thank you Dan. When you say pick up screen are you talking about in the hydraulic tank or transmission

I am referring to the transmission as you are having trouble with engaging forward and reverse. So my concern is a potential internal mechanical problem such as either a torque converter or internal transmission problem if you have confirmed that your gear shift selector is functioning properly.

Not sure if the shifter is working probably. That has been a thought.There appears to be a button the end. Seems like I've seen this on other machines for declutching. If it is a bottom for that it is stuck solid.

If my memory serves me right there should be a button to the clutch the transmission but there should also be a switch somewhere to enable or disable the function. You can test for power in an out of the shift controls in each gear position to your transmission solenoids. It is not uncommon for one of these electronic gear shifters to wear out internally since they have so much abuse within the machine.

Ok thanks Dan. Any info you can gather would be great. A wire diagram would also be great. I'm available anytime. I'm going to clean of the top of transmission today because so dirty

Sounds good. I will also accept your call request it is best that I call you tomorrow once I have time to gather some information for you. I am on Eastern standard Time. What times throughout the day tomorrow would be best to reach you?

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started
Thank you sir.
You're very welcome.
My apologies. I didn't notice about the time. I live in md and I'm off all day so anytime is good.

Sounds great. I will call you tomorrow.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kdLo58dSz2FAJbMlkCQhv8Lg#Chesapeake,_VAHere's some shots of a L270 manual I got from a repair shop in Virginia. I understand most of what it's saying but I don't have a layout of where the ports are. Such as d1 d2.

Can you grab the transmission tag information when you have a chance? I may have some test info on the transmission as well.

I get tomorrow first thing. Will it be on the transmission?

Yes, there should be a metal tag on the transmission. See if you can get the brand name to whether it is a ZF or Clark transmission.

Will do. Pretty sure it's the Clark but will verify

Clark 6421-11 countershaft type powershift

This is what the spec sheet says it should be..

Looks like some patch work has gone on here
Hi Dan. Are we still in contact and you receive my texts this morning?
Hi, I was not available this morning as professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site like yourself. I have a couple of businesses that I am in charge of so I work the site in between. I will always respond back on my next available log in. I was looking through my archives late last night and I found several Clark transmission manuals but they were listed as 12000 , 28000, and 18000 model numbers. That doesn't match up to the model number I found on the spec sheet for this machine so I was wondering if hopefully the tag information might show one of these three models. I was hoping to be able to find some pressure specs and test information. I only come up with those manuals I just listed. That's unfortunate there is no tag.
I understand. Just wondering if we were still connected. Do you know where the tag would be?
Usually the tag would be on the side of the case or front of the case somewhere. See if there is any casting numbers possibly as well.
Did the pics come through that I sent?
Look at the lower part of the drop case where your drain plug is and usually it is near the drive shaft yoke just below it onto the side.they did but most of these wheel loader transmissions looks similar so it's hard to say from the pictures.
You think torque converter side possibly?
I can't tell by looking at the pic. Kinda blurryI'll head up and look some more.

It is at the lower part of the sump on the transmission next to the driveshaft but it looks like it could be hidden slightly behind the parking brake assembly on some transmissions unfortunately.

I found it. Course it's on the back side lol. Cleaning now

Awesome, so it's a – 10 rather than a – 11. I do not seem to have that service book but I've been trying to print one down for you. So far this one seems difficult to find. It might be in the machine service book with the transmission section but I was hoping to find the actual Clark transmission manual separately.

A complete service manual would be awesome. Perhaps I should explain this machine a little. I'm actually a formal machinist now office guy for a large pump company. My passion is heavy equipment. Have a big skid steer and backhoe. This machine is basically a give away almost. She's lived her life but I'm sure she's got a lot more with some tlc. Live on a large farm and always doing something with machinery. Also a lot of kids come sometimes and I let them try things out. So basically this is a restoration project and toy.
No luck there. I have reached out to another source that Volvo recommended they are supposed to let me knowAlso ordered the brake service manual

Thank you for the update. I have not been having any luck with this particular model either unfortunately. It seems the service publications are a little bit scarce on this one. Keep checking eBay and some of the other sources like trade bit as well. Sometimes you may find some manuals through those sources.

I'm pretty sure the L270 is the same. I think they put them all in one manual. Notice the pics I sent referenced the 320 and 485 also. Yes this is a tough one.

I will keep my eyes open for any manuals available but so far I have found nothing but that break manual that you have ordered. That is not really helpful as much for the transmission pressures and diagnostics.

Were you able to get the pictures from google documents? Should be 10 of them. Pics from a manual

Yes I got those and all of them were related to the brake and park brake circuit and nothing related to the transmission, torque converter, and pressure specs or testing. If they have the full shop manual I recommend going back there and see if they have the transmission pressure specs and test information for your transmission and torque converter. This way you can start with those tests to see if you actually have any pressure loss within any of your clutches indicating excessive internal leakage within your transmission and ultimately the need for disassembly and overall.

Ok will do.

I would also see what they have for the Declutch circuit and troubleshooting.

Funny how this machine seems like the mystery machine. Might have to call in Scooby-Do and the gang. Lol

This happens to be one of those machines that were in between the years of the transitions between Clark Volvo and Michigan. I was at the dealer in the 90s where it was called VME but then when Volvo did the full conversion to their equipment line also purchasing other brands to convert those ultimately to be more competitive in the market, some of the support and service information slowly dropped off over the years. The same thing happened with the Volvo/Samsung excavators. They had both logos on the machine. The counterweight and boom had two different logos during that transition.

Morning Dan. Happy almost new year. Good talking to you last night. So I've found by doing searches on the transmission I was able to find a lot for information. I have a mechanic with the proper tools coming today. So hopefully we can figure out why it's not going in gear.

It was a pleasure speaking with you as well. I am happy to hear that you were able to find that technical information. I would definitely see if there is any problems found within that valve such as debris or any spools that might be sticking. Maybe you could manually shuttle that valve with an external pressure source (bucket pump or portapower with a gauge and regulator ) to see if this will allow the machine to move.

Have a great and Happy new year celebration!