Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Im removing the fuel pump on caterpillar 3054 that's in a…

Im removing the fuel...

Im removing the fuel pump on caterpillar 3054 that's in a telehandler. Caterpillar TH63 is the machine. seriel number cat0th63j 5wm08270

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Im looking to lock timing on TDC #1

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thus far I have removed the components required to access the gear set. I have removed the valve cover to attempt to find TDC based on valve timing on #1.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont have the spacific pin for the fuel pump timing. i figured if get it close with a pick or taper punch, then make a tool to zero the tolerance when its time for reassembly.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

What is the engine model and serial number from the engine ID tag?

Click on this link for the instructions on pump timing. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

The engine is a 3054. I'll get you numbers asap. I had to step away from the shop for awhile

Is that not the injection pump that is on your engine? You have an earlier model and different style injection pump?

the pump is slightly different. I have the standyne pump. here is the info I have found that looks to be close to correct as far as I can tell. What im looking for is where to locate the cam or crank lock (if it even has such) for TDC #1 https://ch-part.com/i.caterpillar/i01091507/

Removal Procedure

Table 1

Required Tools

Tool Part Number Part Description Qty

A 150-3992 Timing Pin (1) 1

150-3993Timing Pin (2) 1

B 173-9774 Bolt Remover 1

( 1 )The timing pin is required in order to install Bosch fuel injection pumps.

( 2 )The timing pin is required in order to install Lucas and Stanadyne fuel injection pumps.

Start By:

1. Remove the water pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Water Pump - Remove".
  2. Remove the fuel injection lines. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Lines - Remove and Install".

Note: Access to the fuel injection pump gear can also be gained by the removal of an access cover on the front housing. The cover may have bolts that are tamperproof. The bolts can be removed with Tool (B).

NOTICE

Keep all parts clean from contaminants.

Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.

NOTICE

Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.

Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Caterpillar Tools and Shop Products Guide" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Caterpillar products.

Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.

1. Ensure that the number 1 cylinder is at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System" topic for additional information.

Illustration 1g00567390

Typical example

Illustration 2g00567399

Typical example

Note: Do not remove hub nut (4) from the shaft of the fuel injection pump. The hub of the fuel injection pump is installed in the correct position from the factory in order to ensure proper timing. If hub nut (4) is removed and the hub is removed, the hub will need to be accurately installed on the shaft of the fuel injection pump. Special equipment is available at your Caterpillar Dealer for this procedure.

Note: Do not release torx screws (5). If the torx screws are released and the timing plate is moved, the timing position that is set at the factory will be lost. If the torx screws are released, the number 1 cylinder must be set to the top center position on the compression stroke before the torx screws are tightened.

1. Slowly rotate the crankshaft until hole (6) in the timing gear and hole (7) in the hub are in alignment with hole (8) in the fuel injection pump body .

Note: The location of Tool (A) for Bosch fuel injection pumps will be located toward the top of the fuel injection pump. The location of Tool (A) for Lucas and Stanadyne fuel injection pumps will be located toward the bottom of the fuel injection pump.

1. Install Tool (A) through hole (6) in the timing gear and hole (7) in the hub. Push Tool (A) into position in hole (8) in the fuel injection pump body. If Tool (A) can be fully seated, the fuel injection pump timing is correct. No resistance should be felt when the timing pin is inserted into hole (8) of the fuel injection pump body.

1. Remove four bolts (1). Timing gear (2) should be free from the fuel injection pump shaft.

Illustration 3g00567603

Typical example

1. Remove three nuts (9) and fuel injection pump (10) from the engine.

Illustration 4g00567617

Typical example

1. Remove O-ring seal (11) from fuel injection pump (10) .

Thank you for the updated information. Yes, that would be the procedure for the older style.

Ensure that the number 1 cylinder is at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System" topic for additional information. ... do we have a section for this?

At the rear of the flywheel housing there should be a plug that you remove where a pin engages the flywheel. When number one is on TDC, both rocker arms will be loose on number one.

i found some plugs earlier. il check them out again.

Sounds good.

I never found the flywheel pin location. But I got the pump close to where I thought the TDC mark was, engraved the location of the bolts to the pump drive gear, then removed the pump and noted the location of the timing hole, reinstalled the pump. Then barred the engine over till the pin locked. A Duetz timing pin worked well. I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Thank you for the update. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Dan, Technician