Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 277C Cat skid steer s/n OJWF00987. The grappling

Customer Question
My 277C Cat skid...

My 277C Cat skid steer s/n OJWF00987. The grappling emplement do not respond when the thumb switch is activated. It do this about 95 percent of the time.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

277C OJWF00987

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Opened up the Thomas handle. It looks ok.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Early in your wiring and connector pins coming from the handle to your controller then to your solenoid valves control valve for any corrosion or damage as well as any open circuits. This checks okay further confirm this using your voltmeter and ohmmeter verify voltage and continuity throughout the wiring. Check for the signal from the joystick control for a possible faulty switch in the joystick handle. Finally, you may have some software or calibration related issues within the ECM that might need Caterpillar electronic technician connected to update the software or do a reflash on the ECM to then run through the calibrations of your controls. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.