Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat d6n lgp, the hydraulic and transmission gauges…

I have a Cat...

I have a Cat d6n lgp, the hydraulic and transmission gauges are at the top temp when the keys is turned on and the park brake light does not come on. the engine wont crank because of this. have you any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D6N LGP 2012, serial number CAT00D6NPGS00980

11/24/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I would check the transmission ECM fuse to see if it is good. The neutral and brake control is through the transmission ECM, not the engine ECM.

where is the transmission ECM locatedI have checked the the fuses in the fuse box.

The ECM is below the left armrest. Can you double-check the serial number, it is missing a digit. (after D6N and before 00980)

sorry D6NPGH00980Ok so I have no fuse that is blown. in main fuse box

Have you checked the display for active SERV CODES?

I have one code 271-69(3), OC 2, FIRST 2156, LAST 6804.

Ok, thanks. That code is usually due to the warning alarming is unplugged. (see note below)

This diagnostic code is recorded when the Main Display Module reads the voltage of the circuit for the action alarm and the voltage is above normal. The action alarm does not SOUND as a result of this diagnostic code. The schematic that is shown above represents a typical installation of the component. Verify the connector contact and the wire numbers by utilizing the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced.

System Response:

When this diagnostic code is active, the following occurs:

• The alarm horn is disabled.

• Master fault lamp is active.
ok thx, the horn fuse had been removed and not replaced, should I replace it.

To clear the code, it must be connected.

I believe the serial number should be D6NPGHS00980. This is newer than I was assuming. The powertrain ECM is actually under the hood to the front of the cab.

ok where would I find the fuse for the ECM then, in the main fuse box or elsewhere

The fuse is the Unswitched (battery) fuse set. It should be the "Machine ECM" fuse below the first one marked for the "Engine ECM" fuse.

Also, check at the ECM connector to verify power and grounds.

J1 ECM connector

Yellow wire 308 key switch on Pin 1

Black wire 202 ground Pin 13

Black wire 202 ground Pin 23

Black wire 202 ground Pin 57

Black wire 202 ground Pin 70

RED wire 140 Battery + Pin 31

RED wire 140 Battery + Pin 38

RED wire 140 Battery + Pin 39

RED wire 140 Battery + Pin 47

ok thank you. I have a better idea of where to look now. I will take a while to check this and will get back to you soon. cheers

Glad I could help

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
thank you, ***** ***** problem,red wire 140 broken near ECM.

Great! Glad you have it fixed. Thanks for the reply.