Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Started after several months down-time. No indications in…

Started after several months...

Started after several months down-time. No indications in the tell-tale monitoring panel for engine parameters. Blank panel ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 259D Skid Steer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fix myself if Fuse problem perhaps !!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - everything else operating OK without the monitoring aspect !!

11/13/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Some service letters were issued for certain machines. If you have your complete machine serial number, I might find the details about this and see if yours may be covered.

Not available sorryCan get it, but need to go to machine - 10 mins perhaps ?

I will be here for another hour if you would like to get the serial number. Also, the hours are needed to verify the letter will cover the display.

Basically, the coverage is for 1500 hours or 24 months.

CAT0259DAFTL02026...... approx. 100 hrs only

I looked to find a fuse for the monitor but, it does not list a separate fuse.

Let me check the schematic to see how it gets power.

Ok - Can't get exact hrs because of the blank monitor

OOPS! I should have known that! I have been doing some updates lately and did some that actually fixed the blank display but, it failed again later. The new software was sent out and some changes are being made to the functions.

This may take a few minutes to find the details.

OK - I'll hang 5 here and await your reply :-)

The letter for your machine expired in Feb 2017. If you bought this from a dealer or have a good relationship with them, they may help you since the hours are so low. When the letter has expired, CAT and the dealer are not required to make this improvement since it is not a safety-related item.

True on the expiry. The machine was in the Dealers yard along with 2 others for a "long time" before I made an offer that they accepted. Where is the Fuse box located btw. Looked high and low. Is it in the Cab behind the seat in the panel with 2 thumb screws ?

A pull out cover will be behind the seat to the right side (the left when looking to the rear). Just pull it out for the fuse and it decal is inside.

Some main power fuses are mounted to the back of the cab. They can be reached by removing a cover but, it is easier to raise the cab. (Raise the loader arms and pin the safety brace first.)

To check for power to the monitor, the red wire to pin #1 of the connector is your battery power and pin #2 is the ground.

Pin #8 is a yellow wire and is from the key switch. Pins 11 and 12 are the CAN BUS data links with 5 and 6 as the terminating resistor.

As long as the battery power and ground are good and the key switch powers on, the monitor connection should be good.

The monitor will need replacing.

OK - I'll have a look and go from there. Thanks for your help on the matter. Much appreciated :-)

I would certainly ask them to warranty it, it would certainly be a good faith effort on their part.

Here is an image for the location shown in your Owners Manual. You should have one in the pocket behind the seat.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Good - know where it is now. Thks again

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH