Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 289C cat skid steer and the exclamation light is…

Customer Question
I have a 289C...

I have a 289C cat skid steer and the exclamation light is flashing but no other warning lights are on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

289c JMP

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything other than disconnecting the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had a hydraulic line spring a leak and had lost most of the fluid before i realized it. after i added the oil is when i noticed the light flashing

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/8/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

On the C-Series machines, if you do not have the optional digital display that you can access fault codes, you will need Caterpillar ET software on a laptop connected to be able to retrieve the fault codes and communicate with the ECM. Once you have the fault codes , you will know what circuit is throwing the warning light and where to start troubleshooting. If this happened directly after a hydraulic leak and low oil level, it is likely hydraulic system related. I would make sure that the pumps were not starved for oil and possibly causing a low oil pressure problem for other type of potential hydraulic component failure issue. Check inside the filter for signs of fine metal or debris to be sure that there is no metal what would look like glitter in the oil and filter indicating a potential pump or component failure. If this is clean, I recommend having your pressures tested just to be sure they are still within factory specifications. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.