Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

It’s steve here with the 953. The loader seems to have

Hey Don, it’s steve here...
Hey Don, it’s steve here with the 953 . The loader seems to have developed a miss doesn’t seem like it lost too much power but you can clearly hear it missing we did a temperature reading at the exhaust manifold. Looks like number one is the coldest one but then again that one’s going to be the coldest correct?I’ll send you the readings
11/6/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello Steve,

You would check this the same way as when we were checking for weak cylinders during the synchronization of the rack. Use a screwdriver and push against the end of the injector rod that sticks out the side of the injector opposite the fuel control rack.

This will increase the fuel to the cylinder. If the engine idle smooths out, the setting is too low if the cylinder begins to knock really loud, the cylinder is too rich and the adjustment is too much.

If nothing changes, the injector is not firing, look for valve problems to ensure no other possible cause for a misfire is present then it could be the injector has failed.

However, since this is the #1 cylinder, it may mean the adjustments of the other cylinders are off and require better synchronization to get more fuel to #1 This is assuming it is weak and will smooth out when you apply very light pressure to the end of the rod.

Ok I know what ur talking about. We do have Probably 40 to 50 hours on it since I got it back together. Could things change after that many hrs on it??

Maybe a little wear for seating on the pushrods since it is likely they are not all exactly in the same hole or a bushing that has settled back into an old wear pattern allowing it to have more free play than it did during the assembly.

Ok got I’ll check it out and get back to you in a few days thanks again my friend

You're welcome!

That is the kind of problem I like to find. Easy to troubleshoot!

Me to found that in 10 seconds after taking valve cover offWhat you thinking caused that?

It is possible the pushrod was not in the seat of the cam follower and then became jammed under the edge of the arm after bouncing around.

(I have done both, miss the seat of the follower and the ball of the rocker!)

One the valve smacked the piston, the pushrod had to bend or the rocker had to break. Looks like both lost that battle.

Once you get a new rocker in place, check that valve adjustment closely to see if it keeps changing after running the engine some.

Check the cylinder temps to see if it returns to normal. The worst case is a misfire from a bent valve. If the temps are not close, that too would indicate the valve is not seating. A bent valve could wobble when the engine is running and that would make the adjustment change after running.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Ok thanks again Don I will check everything to make sure there are no problems.i will rate you tonight and if I have any problems I will start a new question thanks again my friend.��

Glad to help!

Hey Don, Steve here with the 953 I put everything back together today got it running it seems like it knocks a little more than it should. Now when I do the test with the screwdriver on the injectors. They all seem to knock evenly other than number two. That’s the one that I replaced the injector rocker arm and push rod. Is there something I’m doing wrong that it seems like it’s knocking a little loud? I’m just hoping this doesn’t happen again I just wanna make sure it’s right.

Hi, Steve

I would check the cam follower and camshaft. If the rocker is not moving the same distance as the other rockers, then one or the other is damaged.

You could measure the rocker movement on any other injector and then compare it to the movement on #2. If it is less, you have damage.

I have seen a follower roller fail and damage the camshaft. It is hard to see from the top but the measurement will prove a problem exists or not.

That’s all Greek to me I’m not sure how I’m supposed to measure or check the cam follower and camshaft. How do I do that? So when you say check the movement of the injector roller I should measure the movement and see how it compares to the other five? I’m guessing that’s something I should do by hand rolling the motor over and checking it?I’m guessing they should all be close to the same? We’re starting a whole new chapter now on cams and followers LOL now I’m going to be full of 1 million questions for you LOL

Use a micrometer to measure the movement of the injector rocker arm to see how much the pushrod is moving the arm. The lift of the camshaft is what you want to see and that is the same as the other injectors.

Here is some detail on the components on a front view cut-a-way. Measure at the red arrow.

Fuel Injection System
(1) Rocker arm
(2) Setscrew
(3) Floating button
(4) Tappet Spring
(5) Pushrod
(6) Plunger
(7) Rack
(8) O-ring
(9) Barrel
(10) Fuel gallery
(11) Sleeve
(12) O-ring
(13) Lifter
(14) Camshaft

The fuel injection pump (unit injector) allows a small amount of fuel to be injected at the proper time into the combustion chamber. The fuel that is supplied to fuel gallery (10) surrounds each unit injector. Each of these galleries are connected by a drilled passage in the cylinder head. This passage provides a continuous flow of fuel to all unit injectors.

The unit injector is isolated from the coolant passages by sleeve (11). The sleeve also provides the seating surface for the unit injector.

Injection timing is determined by the angular location of camshaft (14) and the vertical location of plunger (6) in barrel (9). The camshaft gear and the crankshaft gear mesh together at the front of the engine in order to achieve the angular location of the camshaft. The location of the plunger (fuel timing) is adjusted by setscrew (2).

The profile of the camshaft is sent to rocker arm (1) by lifter (13) and pushrod (5), as the camshaft rotates. The motion of rocker arm (1) is then sent to plunger (6) through the floating button (3).

At the top of the plunger's stroke, fuel from fuel gallery (10) enters the unit injector around the edges of sleeve filter (16). The fuel then fills the volume below plunger (6).

During the plunger's downward motion, fuel beneath the plunger is displaced into the gallery through the two ports in barrel (9). As upper port (19) is closed by the bottom edge of the plunger, fuel continues to be displaced through lower port (18). When the lower port is closed, effective stroke begins. The fuel inside the unit injector becomes pressurized by the continued downward movement of the plunger. When the fuel pressure is sufficient to open check (21), high pressure fuel will be forced through orifices at the bottom of the nozzle into the combustion chamber. This will continue until upper port (19) is uncovered by helix (17) on the plunger. At this instant, effective stroke ends and this high pressure fuel will spill through upper port (19) into the gallery. This will allow spring (20) to close check (21), which will end the injection cycle.

The downward motion of the plunger will continue until lifter (13) reaches the nose of the camshaft. The plunger will be returned upward by tappet spring (4). This will allow the cavity under the plunger to be refilled from the fuel in the gallery. The unit injector is now ready for the next cycle.

In addition to vertical motion, the plunger can rotate with respect to barrel (9) by gear (15). The gear slides in order to allow vertical movement of the plunger and the gear meshes with rack (7). The rotation of the gear changes the relationship between helix (17) and upper port (19). The amount of fuel that is injected into each combustion chamber then changes. For example, if rack (7) is moved to the right, then plunger (6) will rotate CCW. (This movement is viewed from the top.) The distance between the bottom end of the plunger and helix (17) then increases with respect to upper port (19). The effective stroke is increased and more fuel is injected into the combustion chamber.

OK I’m going to read everything and go over it and try tomorrow to figure out if there’s any problems I will get back to you tomorrow thanks again Don

You're welcome!

I have had this happen when I missed the seat pocket for the bottom end of the pushrod on the cam follower (lifter).

I try to get a visual check on every pushrod as I am assembling the rockers and before I start the engine. If I can turn the engine by hand, I rotate it two revolutions just to see all the rocker arms are moving the same.

I assume you are adjusting them in the correct sequence? When adjusting valves for #1 TDC compression, you would adjust injectors 3,5, and 6.

When you are on #1 TDC exhaust stroke, (adjust valves for #6) you would then adjust injectors 1,2, and 4.

Well I guess that is where I messed up. I just put number one all the way up and used a micrometer I and set number two injector rocker arm with the same as number oneMy luck has not been good I bent a pushrod tonight and I ran over the valve cover last night ��‍♂️

Did you set the flywheel at TDC and then adjusts 1,2, and 4? That would be correct.

Sounds like the events from a long day and a plate that's too full.

Yea I’m definitely wearing down. No I did not set anything I just went off number one at its highest point and measured it with a micrometer then I just turned the motor over ‘til number two rocker arm was all the way up checked it with the micrometerAnd set it from there

That should work too. I'm guessing it missed the seat in the follower?

I have even got some under the edge of the rocker arm and not notice it until I was checking for movements.

I was really sure it was in but I guess I must have missed I’ll order another one tomorrow and let you know. Is there anything I can do about the smoking it smells like raw fuel and in a minute or so I can fill my hole shop with smoke

That may be hard to find. An over-fueling injector could be the cause but, finding it is difficult.

If the engine not running smooth, I would recheck timing heights. If it smokes mainly at idle, I would check the rack synchronization adjustments.

Good afternoon Dawn I put everything back together yesterday got it up and running today. I did the screwdriver test on the injectors. Injector 2 and when I push on the rod it doesn’t seem to change too much. Injector 5 Seems when I push on the rod it makes the engine go faster all of the rest of the injectors all sound the same when I push the rod on them it gives the knocking noise.Damn auto spell Don
Number 2 and number 5 I adjusted to give them a little more fuel now when I do the screw driver test now they all knock the same and it did quite the motor down to

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out with the boss lady to find her a new car. ( engine spun a rod bearing )

I am glad you went back and adjusted it further. I was concerned the rack may have some damage and sticking at #5.

Did you check the rocker arm movement to see if the cam lift was the same for the injectors?

I assume no damage has been found on the cam or follower?

No damage everything seems really close adjustment wise. It did quite it up and runs great other than the smoke I wonder if I start it up and take a video for you if u think I need to adjust a little farther.mite b worth a shot maybe u can here it and think I should adjust moreBecause it still knocks a bit.oh and I hope you took the boss to a mopar dealership mopar or no car��

A video would be great, just send me a link to see it.

Almost a Mopar, we are shopping for Jeeps.

Hey Jeep greatI’ll try to send it if I can’t I’ll have my wife do it when I get home if it doesn’t seem like a good video I’ll send you another tomorrow

Show it at idle close and away a couple of feet. Then at around 1500 rpm and wherever you hear anything that doesn't sound right.

Ok give me a min I’m going to pull it back in shopOk I heading home I’ll have to have my wife do it I’ll get back to you as soon as I can

Ok, I will be up till midnight.

Ok hopefully I can send it b4 that lol but the way my luck is I’ll get it sent to you at 12:02. Oh and by the way my cat dealerships had a used valve cover for $114.00 I couldn’t beat that price

I use our local dealer's used parts all the time for stuff like that. I don't have a set time but usually, midnight is when I sign off.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Aza6A5KemcdfRilYWayLUMSQLet me know if this link works

It says shared photos not available.

Ok hang on she is going to try a different way
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0U0Hagv_dyFRkLFuXQJZpepyQNow try

That worked fine. It does sound like one is still over-fueling.

Does the knock go away when you push the injector rod manually? Could you isolate the knock to one cylinder?

No they all knock when I push them manually. I have been trying to find which one it is just not having any luck.as soon as I push on the injectors they all knockI thought for sure it was number 2.Considering it bent the pushrod and broke the rocker arm.The only thing I know to do would be loosen up all injector adjustments. And back them all off and see what happens? What do you think

If you push the injector rod further, the cylinder should misfire. A little push will make this fuel knock but, further should make a miss and you should see black smoke.

If the #2 injector did bottom out, it could be damage. Did you replace that injector?

No I did not.so you’re saying I should push farther on the rods ok I can do that now what am I looking for? How will I know if it’s over fueling or under fueling or they are right??

Pushing on the rod only adds fuel. If the cylinder is already misfiring and a little pressure smooths the idle, then it needs more fuel (screw in). If you push in a little and the knock gets loud when you did not hear it before, that cylinder is good. A bad cylinder would knock louder in time with the knock. Pushing further will over fuel enough to create a misfire and lots of smoke.

If you cannot isolate the knock with adjustments to the rack. It is possible to have a skirt damaged on a piston. Drain the engine oil and screen it for metal, then check in the bottom of the oil pan for small pieces of aluminum.

that means if it misfires than turn screw out it’s getting to much fuel?Am I ok to make my adjustments on the rocker arm?

Yes, if the knock gets louder and is in time with the knock you are hearing, back the screw out slightly to reduce the fuel.

NO, this is the fuel rack that controls the amount of fuel.

The rocker arm must only be set to the timing height dimension for the correct point of injection for timing the firing of the cylinder. (early or late)

Damn!!!!!! Well I will b tearing it apart again ��‍♂️I can’t make it any better by turning the screw on the rack to open and close more or less?I should be able to take my micrometer and set The valve springs for the injectors back to what they were at least get very closeI don’t think there’s anyway I can make the adjustments on the injector rack without taking the rocker arms off correct? Think I can get at any of the set screws

Yes, you can play with the screw on the rack for each injector (except #1 since it doesn't have any) It is very difficult to do this with the engine running in an open engine bay. It is impossible on this machine.

Yes, set them close, within .25mm is good enough.

CAT has a tool that will reach in between the rocker arms. Maybe a 1/4" set will work or a nut drive but, the socket will get knocked off every time you remove it. (done that too!) You may be able to reach it but, watch out for that socket.

Sorry, I didn't explain that better. The setscrews on the rack are to "sync" the injectors for fuel delivery that is controlled by the rack settings and governor.

The timing dimension is the 60 something millimeter measurement for the height of the rocker arm on the injector when it is fully up.

65 mm I remember that I think now I’m just thinking LOL that I can make that tool to be able to adjust the injectors at the rack.I have several pictures of that tool in case I needed to make one

You probably could. A small socket welded to a thin tube that would allow a long Allen wrench so you can loosen the nut, make an adjustment to the screw and then lock it back.

55357;� yep Exactly what I was thinkingBut you’re still saying I can’t adjust it with motor running it would have to be shut off correct?

It is very difficult to turn the rack screw with the rocker arms stroking up and down with the tooling in the small space. It can be down but, it can be difficult. #2 might have enough access you can reach it but, you need someone to shut off the engine if things get wild.

Oh ok I got I don’t want that

It would be safer to make a small adjustment and check the sound of the engine then try again.

First I’m going to try the pushing Farther on the Rod and see how they act it would be great to be able to pinpoint which one it is

Ok, that is how I would start.

55357;�

Did you find anything?

I had to polish it I’m going to sell them on amazon and eBay 1/2 price of cat

That looks slick! I bet you could make some change on it too!

Oh, that is sweet! I was wondering how you would make one.

Well, sometimes you must, "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome"!

Ok Did the screwdriver trick my buddy showed up to help number two definitely sounds different than 1356

Haven't heard anything, I assume adjusting the rack screw has improved the knock?

Just got Done I think we finally got it Don!!!! Number 2 didn’t sound right out of all of them. When we backed the fuel off it got worse we put more fuel to it at the rack. And it improved drastically. Then I backed the main adjusting screw for the whole rack back about a half a turn and everything just started sounding right. I took it out and ran it for a bit runs great sounds great and when I pulled it in the shop I idled it down and it quit smoking. I don’t wanna speak too soon but I think we finally really got it.������

Awesome!

It is a touchy system but, at least it is the last engine we can tune.

Amen my friend thanks again for all ur help if I have any trouble I’ll let you know hope youI hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving thanks again if I have any trouble I will let you knowIf you put up the rating I’ll rate buddy

It has been a journey and I hope this gets this machine up and running for the long run.

Glad I could help.

You have been the reason I still keep trying on my own cause I know I can ask you and you will b there to help me thanks again Don.I’m very glad you picked up my question in the beginning you have helped me greatly my friend it’s nice to talk to someone that knows exactly what I’m working on and don’t just go to a manual and start sending me pictures of different images that’s what a lot of the people do on here

Thanks, ***** ***** appreciate the kind words. I have to admit, sometimes cut and paste is easier. At least to start the question to prove I know what I am talking about to some customers. When I get a guy like you that can work through a problem and not expect a 5-minute repair, it is a joy to be helpful.

Well I appreciate that Don I’ll tell you what it sure is nice to know that when something happens I don’t get to worried cause I can talk to you I’m sure there is a lot of guys that just want the answer to the problem right aways it just doesn’t work that way I have tried many times.I think the easiest diagnose I have had was the broken rocker arm that was easy enuff lol

I agree it is good to get one that is a quick fix and not a rebuild.

For sureThe icon that has the rating is not here what do I do??

It may show up later or you will get an email asking for a rating.

The new changes are not always working the way they intended.

My motto is if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

That is great for machines but the IT guys are in the "If you don't change it, you will fall behind" groups.

In many of the changes to machines today, that is half the battle. Just keeping up with technology is dividing the shops into just labor or technical workers.

Technology is going a bit to fast it needs to slow down

Yes, but it removes the labor during assembly so the big wheels are going to keep pushing it.

Big business is looking to remove the operator completely and automate everything.

But what r they going to do when it breaks down if nobody put it together other than a robot nobody will know the ins and outs of it to b able to fix it or are they going to rely on some engineer that doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground that built it on a computer

When failures hurt economies, then it might change. Cost is driving the new machine production to include the new GC model (for general construction). It is not much different but cheaper. The catch is it cannot be upgraded to the higher-level machines.

You’re very right and they are always in competition with someone that will under cut them every time

Yep, and we both get hit by that truth regularly.

we do!!!! A lot of my friends always say to me y u buy the name brand tools..why don’t you buy at harbor freight they have a life time Guarantee I tell them because I don’t want to be there every other day replacing tools their stuff is cheap junkOnly thing I buy there is rags zip ties and butt connectors LOL

Yea, if I need to make a living I will pay more for something reliable. But, even the big guys break too and I have dropped a few of their items too and went with different brands.

I have more than one customer buy other machines for the same reasons.

I learned my lesson with the libherr loader I’ll stick with cat nobody can have parts as fast as cat and they are by far most reliable now there were times I almost had to refinance my house to pay the bill but they are the best machines and most users friendly

That has been the saving grace for most CAT dealers, being available with parts and service and even deeper product support beyond most other brands.

The training alone was far beyond anything I had at my other jobs.

Don’t get me wrong I was pretty pissed that nobody at cat knew what was wrong with my machine but they really did try to figure it out over the phone without having someone come out and look at it and they will always try to help not act like a bunch of dicks and tell you to just bring it over and they will look at it And anytime they have always put me before any of the big companies because they always say the big companies have five or six machines that they can live without one and they always put me first

That's good to hear. My dispatcher is the same. If you are straight with him, he will work it in over other companies when your whole job is down.

I like that, great details. Is that going on trains or car displays?

Car displays I’m going to make a whole town and hang them in my mopar man cave she wants me to make a Old saloon next

Build the Doube-Duece from Roadhouse with the Buick Wildcat!

Oh f**k yea I never gave that a thought!!!The double douche as Sam Elliot would sayI thought you would be bigger

Yep, that's the one!

I like that air compressor! Cool shop.

I used to build models. Went from cars to trucks then to planes. Had a B-52 over my bed till I moved out to join the Air Force and was sent to a SAC base with 20+ B-52's

My wife was right I did need something to calm me down at the end of the night. I don’t work on it too long no more than about an hour or so. I think just the concentration of making the parts and pieces makesMe mentally tiredYou wouldn’t believe the shit you can buy for these models anything you want they make but they are expensive that’s why I try to make all my own pieces

I have the opposite problem. If I don't do something to keep my mind busy, I will just sleep away the day in a chair. That is part of why I do this so I can have a better schedule.

I think that homemade makes it more real and authentic. Anyone can buy stuff from a store. A craftsman shows how much he cares about his work.

Sometimes I would love to be able to sit in a chair and take a nap I just can’t do it I’ve tried but my mind just runs all day now my wife on the other hand LOL. If we go out on the town for a night and she’s had a couple few too many to drink. She can lay on the couchAll day and not get up other than to go to the bathroom and get a drink or something to eat. Me on the other hand I am up and out the door no matter how my body feels LMAO

Mine can't set a pace. She will go all out to get something done then sit for an hour to recuperate. Then back up again to overdo it on something else.

Wow my wife is the same way her biggest problem is she takes on to many things and gets nothing done because she only works on 10 projects at a time I’ve told her to finish one and start another But I might as well talk to a block wall LOL

Yea, you won't win either way.

Nope not at all I’ve even tried reversed psychology nope that doesn’t work either

They can see right through that and call you out for it!

Isn’t it funny how they can do that shit it’s kind of scary It’s like they know what were thinking at all times they have us figure it out but we have yet to figure them outIt’s like my wife goes to the grocery store and she doesn’t have to ask me what I might want for supper she already can figure it out just like if she goes to a restaurant for supper with a family member or friend she will get me something off the menu never ask me what I wantBut bring home a great meal now if I had to do that I wouldn’t even know where to begin to what she might want

Yes, they are psychic or psycho. Either is way beyond us men.

The rest is conditioning and control of us.

Yea ur right can’t get a damn thing past them lol

It is time for me to sign off now. Good luck!

Thanks Don u have been a great help to me and I appreciate that

Anytime Steve!