Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 428C backhoe with a bucket tilt issue. It is a…

Hello, I have a cat...
Hello, I have a cat 428C backhoe with a bucket tilt issue. It is a parallel tilt and 2CR02035. The tilt back is very slow and sometimes hangs up. Load or no load. The return to dig seems to work but I don’t know if it could be from an issue in the return to dig, cylinders bypassing, or in the “spool block” don’t know the proper term. Tilt down works fine. The return to dig detent on the control lever seems to be catching sometimes just barely off of center. Thanks for any advice
11/2/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, thank you for requesting me.

Have you noticed it works better if you are using another function at the same time?

I don’t think it matters with raise lower. I do know that at full raise and full down tilt it will not tilt back up at all until I lower the loader a little. Even then still may stall or return to dig very slowly. I think the tilt back works fine once it is past the return to dig point but still seems slow

Try using a backhoe function like the bucket and hold the lever applied while working the tilt of the loader. If the power and speed returns, you have a resolver seal problem.

If you place a load in the loader bucket and the cylinder tilts on its own with the engine off, then you may have a cylinder bypassing problem. I would then use the loader and push down on the ground and raise the machine front off the ground a few inches. If the loader bucket drifts up and the machine goes back to the ground, then it would most likely be a cylinder bypassing problem.

If the loader bucket or forks will not hold a very heavy load only, that would point to a weak or failed relief valve.

The Return-to-Dig feature is only an electric coil that holds the tilt valve applied until the set point of the level switch is reached, and then it turns off. No internal parts are used that could cause drifting.

Thank you, ***** ***** like it may be the resolver seal but I will do all tests you suggested when I can. Do you have a diagram showing that?
Was able to do tests today Tilt did not drift up or down with engine off as you asked also tilt back did not work with load at all and I actually crept down even when trying other functions at same time further thoughts? Thanks

Did you hold the other function fully applied while working the loader control? Also, try turning the steering wheel to the stop and hold it applied to see if that will affect the tilt.

If that still does not improve the tilt, then remove the relief and check it for trash. You can also swap it with the bottom relief for a temporary test. (It has the setting wrong so, do not leave it swapped.)

See the image below for the location of the rod end tilt relief valve.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Operating the steering DOES make the tilt work normally. I have not had a chance to pull the relief, should I still do that?