Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Skid Steer tilt and lift is jittery and slow I need

Skid Steer tilt and lift...
Skid Steer tilt and lift is jittery and slow
I need direction and instruction on how to diagnose the problem and what equipment I need for testing.
Sorry for this long question but here is the details and what I would like instruction to do.I purchased at auction and it was leaking. I replaced failed oil cooler, and 2 leaking hoses and installed new hydraulic filter
I was instructed by the bobcat dealer to keep working the arms to let the air come out of the hydraulic system. This did not seem to help.I believe I need to test the pump pressure and flow. According to the bobcatsparts online and reference to 70160 pump I do believe this is an eaton pump as I linked to in the .pdf below. I see in their repair troubleshooting that there are test ports but I don't want to do anything that is unsafe. I need instruction on what to test and how to make sure pump pressure is relieved for me to connect to pump ports etc.2000 Bobcat S70
SN: A3W613058I think this is the pump below
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1485.pdfPlease give me some testing / diagnosis instruction where to start looking for the problem and what equipment I should have to start testing to diagnose this problem.Some online have suggested it may just be the relief valves that are the problem but I wanted to test in order to properly diagnose the symptom.Thanks
10/14/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Greetings, before we go into pumps I need a better description of what the machine is doing and how it operates. Slow & jittery is a wide range of things
Lift and tilt have the same symptom. Very slow operation up down amd tilt in all directions. Fluid is full. Slow means extremely slow. Up from max down to max up takes over 60 sec. And hesitates or jerks all the way up. Down does not jitter or jerk. Same for tilt

What about the drive functions, is that working proper?

Drive function is like this: Fully engaged drive levers seem good but any partially engaged lever for finer movement steering sounds a bit noisy. Not jittery for drive bit noisy for finer steering or finer driving. I hope this description makes sense

Drat, I should have asked if it worked proper before changing the oil cooler and the leaking hoses, that's my bad for not asking that.

I do not know. When I purchased it was leaking a lot so I only ran it to get it onto my trailer then off again.

Ok, copy that. Well, I've never worked on an S70, rarely see those machines, I'm more familiar with the bigger Bobcat machines, but I wager Bobcat pretty much set up the S70 to work much like all other Bobcat machines. On Bobcat machines, they aren't a "return to tank" hydraulic system, they're more of a recirculating loop system, the reservoir simply replenishes oil as required by the system or takes in excess, more than the system needs as required. For that reason, replacing the oil cooler would inject a pretty good size air bubble into the system and it wouldn't go directly back to tank, it would continue to loop in the system until working the loader arm cylinders up/down eventually forced the air back to tank, which would take a while.

What I would do; you need 1 fitting to couple into one of the quick couplers for the auxiliary hydraulics, doesn't matter which one. A short piece of hydraulic hose to connect to that fitting, it can be low PSI, we're not going to build pressure. And a clean five gallon bucket. Oh, and a helper.

Connect your test hose to a auxiliary coupler. Have helper hold the test hose in the clean bucket. Don't point it straight down, hold it against the side of the bucket at an angle so when flow begins it will swirl oil in the bucket. Start machine, gently work your aux hyd, don't stab into it or you may douse your helper with oil. Find which aux direction makes oil flow from test hose. Once you get oil flowing see if bubbles are spitting out. Monitor your reservoir as you'll now be drawing oil from the reservoir. As it gets low, pour oil from the bucket back into the tank. I'd do this for a number of cycles until I saw no more air coming from the test hose.

You can also check your main relief valve by installing a 5000 psi or greater gauge on that quick coupler you have there. Most Bobcat machines are between 3000 to 3300 psi at the auxiliary hydraulic ports. Let me know what you find.

If you go to https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com and put in the serial number the diagrams of the hydraulic circuitry are there. Can you review the diagram to be sure that bleeding the air this way applies to this system ? Thanks
I can rig some aux connectors and hoses and get back with you but just wanted to double check if you think this procedure will still apply to this system. Thanks

I'd have to look at a hydraulic schematic to be certain, but Bobcat has made their systems pretty much the same for all their machines for years now, I wager they didn't do anything radically different with your machine.

OK, I'll try this and post back, thanks

I'll be around.

WOW didn't know the question would close sorry. Getting ready to bleed air today. Finally rounded up a house and quick connect for the aux connection.I'm not sure but I hope this question is reopened when I respond and I'll be sure to post feedback and rating once we are done diagnosing this, thanks
justanswer won't let me rate on this question for some reason. I have no idea how to continue on this or to ask/ invite you to a new question so I can give you a rating.

Yes, a question is closed after a period of time, can't recall how long that time is, typically a couple of days though, but the reason you can't give a rating is I haven't marked the topic "completed" on my end since we weren't really completed just yet. I'll go ahead and mark the topic completed, but you should still be able to access your question if you wish to post a follow up.

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Ok thanks. I am working on this and think I got the air out. Lift and tilt are fast and smooth as should be. But there is a slight jitter on lift but only at the top and brief. I tried to get more air out and will check situation again tomorrow thanks