Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 257 multi terrain loader will not move. I am only 200…

Customer Question
My 257 multi terrain...

My 257 multi terrain loader will not move. I am only 200 feet from my shop door. What can I do to tow it to the shop?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model is a 2004 257 Multi terrain cat loader. The serial # CMM1055.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The machine will start, but will not move.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/11/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

okI just need to know if I can move the cat without doing damage to it How can I tow it to make the tracks turn?

Unfortunately, these machines were not made with tow valves. The only options are to either slowly and I mean very slowly tow the machine inches at a time or preferably get the machine on a ramp truck and move it where you need it. Towing this machine at any higher speeds or long distances will cause damage with the hydrostatic drive system. You can also use another machine to lift this and carry it to the location if you have an excavator on site or another machine that is capable of lifting your skid steer with the appropriate lifting cables or hoisting equipment. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

The only way you could get those tracks to turn is to pull the covers off of the final drives and remove the gears to allow it to be towed.

How do you do that? I have never had one with tracks before. Any information would be great.

257 or 257b?

You would remove the final drive cover. Smaller final drives usually don't have a bolt on cover but they have a large rubber O-ring where you have to push the cover in slightly in order to access a snap ring around the perimeter to remove. Then you would remove the cover after draining the final drive gearbox oil. The middle shaft should slide right out.