Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1970's Johnd deere JD 300 moves in reverse will not…

Customer Question
I have a 1970's...

I have a 1970's Johnd deere JD 300 moves in reverse will not move forward

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked spool filled with hydro oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all now i see there is a similar complaint/question and am hoping to get help with the diagnostics

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/2/2019
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

You may have a free-wheeling valve issue.

The freewheel knob is right in front of the seat. Try turning it counterclockwise. If that doesn't fix it you'll have to take the fender deck off to really be able to see if the valve pin is still depressed. The 2 valves are at the top of the tranny inside a big nut, right below where the knob would be.

If it's stuck down, you'll have to take it out. You can try soaking it in PB Blaster or Kroil or anything like that. Usually, they free up.

I hope this helps you.

I see a 7/8 adjustable bolt with a lock nut took it out there is a ball Bearing below it this is in front of seat on top of trans
on right side of trans is a 7/8 plug with two ports below it all three have high flow and pressure
i do not see this adjusting knob
I have taken the valve body apart and checked the forward reverse spool valve operation it seems to be good

Thank you for the response.

Then I suggest getting a rebuilt valve.

the valve you speak of is the one with spool valve on the right side between the brake pedals and the trans?

I normally go offline at 3 pm CST but do check-in.

Yes, that is correct.