Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 312 caterpillar excavator and the electronic

monitor panel doesn’t turn on...
I have a 312 caterpillar excavator and the electronic monitor panel doesn’t turn on and blinks
9/27/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Remove the side covers and find the four-pin plug to the monitor and see if the wires are corroded or if you have power and ground on two wires. The other two wires are the data link to the ECM.

The wires are good

Did you have battery voltage to the monitor and a good ground?

What voltage was on the two data link wires?

I haven’t checked with the voltmeterLet me check tomorrow and I let you know

If you have battery voltage to the monitor and a good ground, you should also have about 2.5 volts to 3 volts on the data link wires.

If that is normal, then the monitor is dead.

I’ve been through a lot of problems with this machine.
the biggest problem is that the final drive and the hydraulic system do not have enough power and when you want to dig the engine it turns off

Are you jump starting it?

NoThe mechanic said that we need to make the monitor works so we can determine the other issues

Look at the ECM and see if the red light is on. If it is then the ECM is bad too.

Try running the machine in backup mode and see if that helps. If it does not help, you have multiple issues that will need addressing to correct these problems.

Ok thanks, I’ll write you tomorrowTo see the ecm

The ECM may have three lights. Green is good. yellow is no communication to monitor and red means its dead.

Trying backup mode will bypass the ECM and set the pump to a fixed value. If that makes work better, then the issue is with the ECM circuits.

When I bought the excavator, the wires from the governor were busted and I replaced the governor, do you have any diagram or pictures on how to install the wires in the injection pumps pulleyI’ve seen those lights and the yellow and the green are on

You will need the monitor fixed to correct the calibration of the governor cables and get it to work correctly. Maybe it can be done with CAT ET program but it depends on the model.

CAT ET can also help with the troubleshooting of the other issues so you can get them all fixed and then the machine should work much better.

If you need detailed help, I need the complete machine serial number(PIN) to find the correct info.

The machine it’s a gray market
Serial number 7DK07091
Engine serial 6LK11607

Being gray market, I doubt I can find anything on it.

I will look and see if anything is close but usually, it is just a guess.

I’ve been using the 6GK prefix and it’s exactly the same

I don't see much for pictures other than this parts page.

I never have any luck with grey market stuff. Yes, a lot looks the same but, I have always had problems and never has everything been exactly the same.

If this was mine, I would run it in backup mode and install a couple of manual gages. Can't see spending $5000 on parts that may or may not work. If you can even find them. Most of the A models here are long gone. Even the B models are hard to repair now.

Thanks, ***** ***** see tomorrow the voltage on the monitor and I let you know

Ok, thanks.

Thank you

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician