Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have A 259d when i turn The key “on” it seems like the…

Customer Question
I have A 259d...

I have A 259d when i turn The key “on” it seems like the starter solenoid is clicking but I’m not turning the ignition to turn engine over yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

259d cat0259dtftl01144

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tapping the solenoid. But it’s doing it before i even Try starting it. It’s clicking in just the “on” position. And yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Almost like it’s turning on when the fuel pump turns on. I should add It’s keeps clicking while the engine turns over

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Any luck?
9/15/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Let me find a schematic and I will see what I can find.

I have heard of this happening but, I haven't done a repair that was related to it yet.

What else has happened to this machine recently?

Alternator a couple weeks ago.I used to work for cat on machines and never incounted this.Also some seems to be draining the battery. It has a radio but doesn’t work.

Yea, it is one of those weird things that pops up. I think it is an arc suppressor/diode that has failed.

Have you seen one on this machine?

No but if you point me in the directionUnless it’s larger than a typical diode i bet It’s wrapped in loom.

No, they are large but, I do not see this machine using it in the cranking circuit.

Look on the left side wall in the engine bay and pull the start relay. It will have the 12 gage 304 white wire in the relay connector. It also has the 306 Green wire from the start control of the ECM.

Pull the relay and see if it stops cranking with the key on.

Then check the red 109 wire for power from the battery at terminal #1.

Check continuity for the 304 white wire at terminal #4 to the starter solenoid terminal and check for shorts to battery and ground.

Also, check the green 306 wire at terminal #5 for voltage with the key on.

The 18 gage white wire is the floating ground at terminal #2.

Ok I’m on it

ok

Yeah it's still crankingThere's def a short

Ok, disconnect the white 304 wire from the starter and see if it continues cranking.

Once this wire is off the starter and if it does not crank, then you can read voltages until you locate the short to battery power in the harness.

You should have a wire connector next to the engine harness connector and both wires are large.

The white wire goes to the starter, the blue wire is for the glowplugs.

A quick check to see if the glow plug relay may be at fault is to pull that relay to see if that is the short.

Then, see if the 12 gage blue wire has power on it too.

It's still cranking

Wait, what?

The white wire is off of the starter and it is still cranking with the key being turned on?

YeahIm so confuse

How do you stop it? Are you turning the master disconnect off?

No the key

Oh, ok!

Go disconnect the alternator battery post and see what happens!

It actually only did it a couple times at first then it would eventually stop clicking and the machine would start fine. Then today it won't startYeah i bet the alternator guy did something scary

I did a B model a few years ago and just happen to be there when it did this one time.

The battery power terminal right?

Yes, the RED 4 gage wire to the alternator.

Just checking

Or unplug the white wire connector.

Looks like a two pin connector with one white wire 18 gage marked 123 that is the key switch wire for the alternator.

It's easier to remove the battery terminalIt just ate my socket. Hold

Do you need medical attention?

No I'm good. Took forever to get another 10mm but the terminal is off and still clickingIs it even the solenoid doing the clicking?

Did you pull the glow plug relay too?

Could you be hearing the electric fuel lift pump?

It's so loud at the engine it's hard to tell. Definitely sounds like solenoid or really big fuel pumpWould the fuel pump be that loud?Checking glow plug relay now

Sometimes. If the fuel pressure is low or air is in the line.

I just disconnected the fuel pump. We'll seeSon of a

NURSE!!

yeah i guess it's the fuel lift pump. So why then will the engine not even turn over then sometimes it will.

I have seen some key switches get replaced but, I am not sure they were the problem.

Any of the interlock controls? I have seen the seat switch get popped out of several of the 259 D models.

Yeah it's used so I'm sure I'll have to go through a few more things.

This is different from the one I fixed, maybe it was on a larger machine 299D.

They were twist-locked into the bottom of the seat and would be knocked out by big guys jumping in the cab.

Did you send a pic?

Yes for the seat switch

Didn't get a pic
Thanks. Got it that time

great!