Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am looking at purchasing a 951c cat track loader. it seems…

I am looking at...

I am looking at purchasing a 951c cat track loader. it seems to run well only thing the owner said the right track clutch will not engage so it doesn't pull on right side. Trying to understand the depth of this issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok sounds great

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm very interested in understanding how the whole clutch/brake turning system works

I really would like to understand how the whole track clutch/brake turning system works
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

It is not an issue for the clutch to engage but, the steering clutch is slipping.

This machine uses spring-applied steering clutches to drive the machine forward. A turn is accomplished by releasing a steering clutch so that side's track does not have power and the other side will push the tractor around. To improve turning, each steering clutch has a separate brake band. To force the turn tighter, after the steering clutch is released, the brake band can be applied and that side's track can be stopped for a tight turn or pivot turn.

The two issues that happen are the steering clutch is slipping and will not drive that side or, the brake band will not stop the drum and pivot turns will not work.

To repair this, the rear of the machine's steering and brake housing must be removed. This is accessible by removing the rear of the machine's seat, fuel tank, and sides to access the housings. The housing is disconnected from the brake and steering controls then lifted off. The steering clutch is bolted to the bevel gear (like a differential) and the final drive. Then the assembly is lifted out of the tractor. The brake drum covers the steering clutch and slides off the clutch plates. The steering clutch is placed in a press with a special adapter and then the springs hold the clutch applied can be removed. Once they are removed, then the steering clutch discs can be replaced. This repair is mostly labor and often finds other issues like worn bearings in either the bevel gear or the final drive which requires special press tooling to access the bearings for replacement. Because it requires special tooling and labor, having these repairs done at a dealer can become very expensive. $10,000 to $20,000 depending on how much damage is found. the steering clutch itself can be removed with a few tools but the replacement of the disc or plates needs the special tooling to safely disassemble the unit for a rebuild.

See image below.

is the clutch activated by hydraulics or by a mechanical means?

This machine uses spring-applied steering clutches

The steering lever releases the clutch mechanically with hydraulic assist.

Ok so there are linkages hooked up like a manual truck clutch

Depending on the serial number, yes.

Some have linkage to a steering valve and the valve operates a slave cylinder that mechanically releases the steering clutch.

But, yes like a truck clutch. (great analogy) Just this one may have a hydraulic control in the middle.

With a small hydraulic pistonOk thanksThat makes sense now

Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Ok thanks, probably will have more questions this coming week

No, problem.

Good machine but, parts are getting harder to find from CAT. Some aftermarkets are out there but, I don't get to work on these anymore so, I haven't purchased any.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I'm just trying to find something I can afford to do small work on my own farm

If you know someone that can do the work and has some of the toolings, it is a good machine. If you must take it to the dealer for every repair, it can get very expensive.

An undercarriage replacement can easily get over $25,000 depending on how much is needed.

I think I have found someone who can fix it, I was more interested in understanding the way it works to know what hes talking about. Hes my nephew and a great young man. He runs a diesel truck shop but helps me out a lot

Well, this machine will make or break him. Trying to by the tooling needed for a complete rebuild can be crazy expensive too.

As far as pulling a steering clutch, it is not that bad once you get the seat and tanks out of the way.

A used manual and/or parts book will help a lot. The main tool needed is steering clutch wrenches to help speed up removing the 30 odd bolts hold the clutch to the drive hubs.

Ok the guy that owns it has the service manual and parts manual with it

That is great, one less headache to track down.

Thanks again, Don

Thank you

You're welcome!

Hey good morning, was talking to the track loader owner just now and he said that cat 951c has a wet clutch system and the clutch doesn't engage and brake won't hold. But also he said that when he mashes the left pedal the right one drops down! Any thoughts on this

The steering clutch and brakes are in oil for better cooling. Older machines had dry steering clutch and brake housings. The difference means you must use wet clutch and brake parts for repair. Dry clutch parts do not like oil on them.

Sound like the steering valve could have a problem too. I am not sure this can cause the steering clutch to slip. It could if the valve is worn bad and the piston is sticking but, I haven't seen it happen.

I don't have experience with this machine. I have serviced a couple of 955's and more D6D tractors but, these are not popular in my area.

Below is some details on the steering valve.

He said his mechanic is saying the issue is with the steering valve?If the clutch is in a bath of oil how does it get enough friction not to slip

The springs holding the clutch applied are very strong. That is why you need a press and special plates to disassemble it.

This machine is smaller than the ones I have service. The complete assembly must be removed for repair. both steering clutches with brakes and the bevel gear assembly will all come out as one unit. The steering clutch must then be pressed off the tapered bevel gear shaft and then the clutch can be placed in a press for disassembly.

If it is the steering valve that is the problem, try to locate one first. I am not sure many parts are left for these machines and that might be why he is selling it.

It's a rental and parts

Ok, thanks.