Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have 2016 Takeuchi TL10 with cab and air. Problem began…

I have 2016 Takeuchi...

I have 2016 Takeuchi TL10 with cab and air. Problem began with starter turning over slow barely starting after machine was hot. Got so would not start when hot. Was not overheated. Battery is good. Now when I turn key to start there is zero power to starter. Does not even click.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will go get it. Can you give me 5 min?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. How does this work. Do I pay by credit card? What is the rate?

I have 2016 Takeuchi TL10 skid steer track loader with cab and air. Ser no###-##-#### Problem began with starter turning over slow barely starting after machine was hot. Got so would not start when hot. Was not overheated. Battery is good. Now when I turn key to start there is zero power. Does not even click.
9/5/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Start by testing your battery with a digital battery tester to be 100% sure that there are no dead cells or other internal problems picked up inside the battery. Also be sure to check all of your cables and connections between the battery and starter motor as well as to your chassis grounds. Have your starter motor bench tested for excessive amperage draw and any internal problems. If all is within specs, check all of your fuses and relays as well as your safety interlock switches and wiring for your lap bar, seat switch, etc. Check for power in and out of the ignition switch in each switched position for a possible faulty switch.It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

For some reason the 15 amp fuse for starter has no power in, or out. That's the only one. I figured it was a safety interlock somewhere. Started removing covers all over. Replaced starter relay. Could find no problem.I think it's the starter. I jumped the solenoid. Nothing. Beat it a few times, jumped it again, and the starter just spins. Did not engage. What do you think?Also,
How can I test the solenoid. I have it off.It's a shame because I already spent 4 hours removing covers, etc. Wish I'd gone straight to starter.Thank you.

Thank you for the update. If you have 12 V and a good tested battery, also your cables and connections are good providing constant battery power to the main post of the solenoid, 12 V applied to the small signal terminal on the starter should engage the starter solenoid to crank the starter over. If it does not, the solenoid is no good.

I installed new solenoid. Machine started twice from turning the ignition switch but turned over really slow with a good battery. After the 2nd startup it returned to same condition and will not do anything. Not even a click. I ran a 12 v jumper from battery to small terminal on solenoid and got nothing. Not even a click. I have a new starter on order to try that. This machine is a 2016 with only 200 hours. It's a Takeuchi TL10 and has a Kabota engine. It is becoming very frustrating!

Be sure to test the battery with a digital battery tester to see if there are any signs of bad cells within the battery because you can have a battery that's fully charged but still have an internal issue which will cause it not to withstand its rated cold cranking amps. Once you've confirmed that, clean all of your cables and thoroughly inspect the connections and all of your cramps for your terminal ends to see if there are any signs of damage on the battery cables that can cause excessive resistance within the starting circuit. If you've confirmed both the battery and cables are all okay including all grounds, this now isolates it further down to a possible starter motor problem. Have your existing starter bench tested on a starter bench test to see if it passes or if it is drawing too many amps with potential internal problems.

Dan, Technician