Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a jD 450E that does not shift, when hot. When shut down…

Have a jD 450E...

Have a jD 450E that does not shift, when hot. When shut down not showing any trans fluid on the stick. No visible leaks anywhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's a 450E dozer, 1987, don't have the serial number.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I've change fluid, filter and screen. Have done clutch adjustment etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of, have been reading all over. I just need some answers, now, don't need a membership for anything.

8/28/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

By chance if you could get the serial number, please do when you have a chance.

Ser #450ec734710

Start by topping off the transmission oil and then check the fluids and all other compartments to make sure all compartments are full and not either under full or overfull. I would also check your belly pans to see if they are full of dirt and debris that could be absorbing some oil from any external leaks. Know whether or not you found any metal or debris as well as any signs of potential component failure or internal mechanical problem within your filter or suction screen. If clean, I recommend having your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within factory specifications. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Done this, when stopped no trans fluid showing on the stick. After it cools it's back up to within specks.Changed filter and screen and fluid.

What did you find inside the old screen and filter? You will need to open those up to inspect them for signs of metal or debris. They will tell a story whether or not there is an internal problem that is producing metal in the system that would require disassembly for rebuild or repair. Also since you have done this, what were your pressures when you have them tested as I suggested? Once you tell me what those actual pressures were in comparison to your machine specs, it will give a better sense of direction on what is going on depending on what the pressures were reading when you checked it. I'm glad that you did all this already. Let me know what those pressures were in comparison to specs. It's a pleasure to help.

Was some black looking sludge in the screen no metal. Pressure within specs 175. Has a guy adjust but said it fluctuated. Thought the steering clutch seals? Im going to check them again this weekend. Thinking maybe clutch oil manifold?
Where is the oil going? Not showing on the stick after shutdown? Up in the trans, this normal?
If there is absolutely no external leaks whatsoever and you are 100% certain it is not leaking into a full belly pan absorbing into dirt and debris, then I would check all of your other reservoirs to see if the levels are within specs and that you have no oil transfer between other circuits... I'm on the road today but will be back late this evening for any follow-ups if needed.
Whenever it goes, it all comes back.
Thanks for the update and clarification. If the oil is topped off then it is likely all in the valves, clutches, Etc and will bleed back to sump after sitting a while. As long as it's not under full and you are having no signs of metal being produced and no overheating issues, and your pressures are within specs. I wouldn't let it concern you
Dan, Technician
Going to check all my levels (steering clutch levels) and transmission pressure checks this weekend (again) double check the guy that set them. From all that I've been reading I'm thinking maybe the Clutch Oil Manifold may be bad, and/or the HLR shuttle pack. I know they are on the top center of the trans, but if that is the case, can this be fixed/rebuilt without pulling the engine or transmission? My manuals are not real clear on this, but appear the input shaft may have to be pulled forward.

Unfortunately to access the oil manifold, the engine and clutch need to be removed. there are metal sealing rings inside the manifold as well that are known to wear grooves over time causing leakage. It is behind the input shaft of the transmission inside the case so that has to be removed to get to it.

That's what I was thinking. Based on the symptoms, if the pressure tests don't come out to specs (i.e. in all ranges, L,H, N, R) then that is the most likely reason. One or more of the rings is worn or broken.

I agree. Because the pressure has to pass to that manifold first.

Thanks

Pleasure to help.