Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 331bobcat that has worked great for years. Under…

Customer Question
I have a 331bobcat...

I have a 331bobcat that has worked great for years. Under load it dies like it’s not getting fuel. I’ve c hanged all the filters. I was told the tank pickup screen may be the issue. I’ve removed the rubber floor and I see the fuel line connection. Can I remove it from there or do I need to take the entire floor off to get to the pickup screen.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Good question. I don’t have it handy. I can contact you at a later date

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/25/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 2 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, the 331 covered different models ranging from the X331 to the 331 G series machines, it's hard to be specific without knowing just which model 331 you have, but yes, a typical problem with Bobcat machines that have engine stall under load from lack of fuel delivery is caused by the strainer screen on the pick up tube inside the tank is clogged. One way to know this for certain is to check the primer bulb of the fuel supply line. The way it works, operate the machine hard. At the moment the engine stalls out, right then, pop open the rear door and check the primer bulb. If it's sucked flat then it's a sure bet the strainer screen on the pick up tube is clogged. Again, hard to be specific without knowing your model series, but most Bobcat excavators like yours require removing the floor plates to access and service the pick up tube in the fuel tank.