Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My D4D power shift tractor jumps out of gear when the left…

Customer Question
My D4D power shift...

My D4D power shift tractor jumps out of gear when the left clutch is engaged. Do you have an idea as to the cause??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

82J series

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have bought a service Manuel and I should receive it next week. The problem just started!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that’s it!

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/23/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Check the oil level and condition for dark or discolored oil, burnt smell, and any metal or debris in the transmission. If metal is found it is an indicator of internal wear/damage requiring disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

The oil is not burnt or discolored! I cannot “feel” metal when rubbing the oil between my thumb and index fingers. I cannot see metal shavings in the oil.

Thanks for the update. So far that's a good sign, but what you really want to check is the suction screen in the transmission and any transmission filters or hydraulic filters as that is what will catch a lot of any traces of contamination or potential mechanical internal problems occurring. Usually you would cut open the old filter and cut out a section of the filter media. Then you would squeeze out the excess oil in a vice to open up the filter for inspection. If this is still clean, you will want to have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within factory specifications. Depending on those test results will depend on what the next course of action is and whether or not you are looking at a pump problem, another internal mechanical problem, etc.