Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat TH83 S/N: 3RN00543, has an intermittent issue with…

Hi, my Cat TH83 S/N...
Hi, my Cat TH83 S/N: 3RN00543, has an intermittent issue with the tilt function. I suspect the push button on the front of the joystick which allows me to control tilt instead of boom extend/retract is bad and not always making a solid connection. Do you happen to know the part number for the push button on the joystick or could it be something else?
8/8/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am not sure that part is available from CAT anymore. I will look and see if it is but, give me a few minutes to find it.

The old version did fail but, I had a few that had bad coils on the valve.

Yes, the old round hand is not available. You must replace it with the molded handle and it does not have a parts breakdown.

With which tilt function are you having trouble?

I am assuming you mean the tilt button that swaps the extend function.

This is controlled by swapping solenoid controls at a valve near the rear of the engine frame and below the radiator. Its wires are often damaged. Also, the relays below the joystick have been known to fill with rainwater and fail.

it's the button on the front of the joystick that switches between tilt and extend functions. the problem is intermittent, it will occasionally work, but wont switch to the tilt function from time to time. If I play with the button it will usually start working again, I will check the wiring and replace the relays just to rule that out. So if I understand correctly, if the switch it the joystick is bad I will have to purchase a whole new joystick correct?

No, the handle is available separately. You just cannot get the internal parts of the handle.

(###) ###-####CONTROL GP-HANDLE

It should have a roll-pin holding it to the valve lever.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician