Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a yanmar mini digger.I am replacing the stop solenoid…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a yanmar mini digger.I am replacing the stop solenoid as it burned out,When connecting up a jump start to the battery in a hurry i got the terminals connected the wrong way. The new solenoid has a black, a white and a red wire. The wires on the digger are black, yellow / red and green / white. Which go to which.? Also would it be possible to bypass the key switch by putting in a seperate switch for the solenoid ( if other wires are burned out),if necessary. I cant see anything else that burned and the engine starts on the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a B30V and engine is 3TNE82A EB1A .Engine number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think tht is it thanks

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/7/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

I can't say about the wires on your Yanmar, but I know those solenoids plenty well and maybe you can sort it out from there. On those external linkage shutdown solenoids, the black wire is ground. The other two wires, red and white, there's two magnetic coil windings inside that solenoid, one is referred as "pull" winding, the other is referred as "hold" winding. It takes a good bit of magnetic energy to "pull" the plunger spool into the solenoid, but once it's pulled in it doesn't take much magnetic energy to "hold" the spool inside the solenoid. So here's how it works. Most OEM manufacturers will use one of two methods, either a ECU will control input to the shutdown solenoid, or they'll use a timer module to control input to the "pull" coil of the solenoid. In either case, when you power up the machine to start it, the machine will send power to the white wire (pull) and the red wire (hold) to pull the spool into the solenoid. Once the spool is fully pulled into the solenoid the machine will drop power on the white (pull) wire. If power stays on that wire too long it will burn up the winding of the pull coil. The pull coil is only used to momentarily "pull" the spool into the solenoid, once it's engaged the "hold" coil takes control of holding the spool engaged. Another thing about those external linkage solenoids, the linkage needs to be adjusted so the solenoid spool fully bottoms out in the solenoid. If the linkage is adjusted in such a way that the fuel control lever bottoms out against a stop at the injection pump, but the spool of the solenoid isn't fully bottomed out inside the solenoid, it will burn up the solenoid. That spool has to hit bottom inside the solenoid coil or it will go south. I hope this helps.

Thanks..Looking at a wiring diagram, it looks like the green/white goes to a relay which then links to a timer.The yellow/red goes directly to the timer.There is also a rectifier between the yellow/red and the ground.
Does this mean the one direct to the timer is the pull?

That's hard for me to say as I'm not familiar with your particular machine. What one typically sees with a timer setup is an ignition wire goes to the timer module to power it up. The timer module then send power to both the red wire (hold) and white wire (pull) at the solenoid. After a few seconds the timer module takes power away from the white wire at the solenoid. Again, that's the way they're typically done, but yours could be set up in different ways in how it sends power to the red wire, but if it has a timer module that module most likely controls power to the white wire. The rectifier between the yellow/red wire and the ground wire is for rapid residual power suppression when power is turned off on that wire.

OK. Thanks. That helps a little, but i fear its going to take a little sorting!

I do hope you get it sorted out. I might be able to help more if I had access to Yanmar diagrams but I haven't found a source for that. Fingers crossed on my end.

Many thanks.I have had to hold fire for a moment but would still welcome any more help if you are able to offer any

I'll keep looking to see if I can find any info