Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2014 Cat 262D Skid Steer is displaying fault code 2474-3…

2014 Cat 262D Skid...

2014 Cat 262D Skid Steer is displaying fault code 2474-3 "Left joystick forward/reverse position sensor voltage above normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 262D serial # DTB 00620

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I suspect I will end up getting someone else to do the repairunless there is something simple to try. I have shut the machine down and restarted a few times to no avail.

8/4/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Have you tried disconnecting the harness at the joystick and the back of the cab to see if it could be a bad connection?

Also, inspect the harness for damage. I have seen too many machines were operators throw trash and tools behind the seat and destroy the wires.

I have not. I will go give it a try!

Here are the details for the code. Also, check the A4 fuse for the joystick.

This diagnostic code is associated with the forward-rearward location for the Left Joystick Position Sensor. The sensor provides an input signal to the ECM. This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM determines that the voltage of the signal is above normal.

The position sensor is a PWM sensor that operates at a frequency of approximately 500 ± 80 Hz. The duty cycle of the signal will vary. The signal will vary approximately 20% at the joystick in the full rearward position. The signal will vary by approximately 80% at the joystick in the full forward position. When the joystick is in the center position, the duty cycle will be approximately 50%.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed:

• The sensor for the power supply circuit is open.

• The sensor for the return circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is shorted to a voltage source.

• The sensor has failed.

• The ECM has failed. ECM failure is unlikely.

Before performing this procedure, inspect the harness connectors that are involved in the circuit. Poor connections can often be the cause of a problem in an electrical circuit. Verify that all the connections in the circuit are clean. Verify that all the connections in the circuit are secure. Verify that all the connections in the circuit are in good condition.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician