Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a John Deere 317 Skid Steer. The park brake doesn't…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 317 Skid Steer. The park brake doesn't seem to disengage and I can't raise of lower the bucket or move forward or backward. I have checked the park brake solenoid and it tested ok under 10 ohms. The solenoid tester lit up on the bench testing. I also put a screw driver in and felt it energize the screwdriver, read the voltage from the relay to the park brake solenoid and had no voltage. I traced it back to the relay and the middle relay isn't getting voltage. The wires coming out of the relay were a green and a white wire and they didn't have power. But the other set of wires that were with it did have power. I traded relays out with ones I know that work and the middle section doesn't energize. I've also replaced the park brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

John Deere 317 and I'll have to go grab the serial number

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I found a bad wire connection with exposed wires at the solenoid. I cut the connector off and ran the wires directly to an external battery. Doing it that way allowed me to drive the skid steer back and forward but still no bucket movement with the foot pedals. I tested voltage with the solenoid directly wired to an external battery and had 12 volts. I tested voltage with it wired up the way its supposed to be and also had 12 volts but the only way I can get it to move is if it is direct wired to an external battery. I also have a hydraulic lock light on my control panel and the parking brake warning light never goes away when the switch is rocked to the unlock position.
Answered in 3 days by:
8/5/2019
Mechanic: Ulyana-mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Ulyana-mod

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am the category moderator. I apologize for the wait. I wanted to reach out to see if you still need assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you! Ulyana~Moderator

Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Do you still need help with this?