Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

J d 410 backhoe won’t pull good in second gear sounds like…

Second opinion] J d...

Second opinion] J d 410 backhoe won’t pull good in second gear sounds like hydraulic bypassing a value won’t spend the tires like it will in first gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

J D 410 D Backhoe don’t have the ser.# right now

7/22/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Please grab the serial number when you have a chance.

If you are able to shift into all your gears but you are having problems with getting full power or signs of clutch slippage in any particular gears, you will want to check the oil condition to see if there's any signs of metal or other debris that would confirm an internal mechanical problem occurring that would require disassembly for further inspection for rebuild or repair of your transmission. Check your filters as well for any signs of this since your filters will pick up a lot of it usually. Look for darker discoloration in the oil as well. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can. If all of this is clean, you will need to have your pressures tested to see what your pressures are doing to isolate this problem further but there would be no need of doing this if you've already confirmed that you have found signs of mechanical failure from debris in your filter or oil. If your pressures are out of specs within certain gear positions, it's an indication of excessive internal leakage possibly within your clutch packs or other internal leakage. Even at that point, disassembly for bench inspection is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Ok Dan I finally had time to read your answer it’s right will have to rebuild.I have not done one of these before. But I will try.

Thank you for the update. I recommend having the shop manual on hand during the process and be sure to follow everything step-by-step. You can also use the John Deere parts catalog online along with the service manual which is helpful to identify part numbers and part locations during assembly on any times that the shop manual is unclear.

Dan, Technician