Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2001 kx 91 mini. Kubota kx 91 - 2 mini excavater…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 kx 91 mini

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Kubota kx 91 - 2 mini excavater sorry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oil is leaking from the rotary joint dont have it apart yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should i plan on replacing all the orings and sleeves the hole assemle is pretty spendy is it a common repair?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/10/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Rotary manifolds on excavators are a very common wear item. This is actually the most common cause of travel related issues on excavators commonly misdiagnosed as a faulty travel motor which is a very costly misdiagnosis. Replacing Rotary manifolds seals is actually part of the troubleshooting process recommended when you do have travel problems. Once this is a part to replace the seals, be sure to inspect the sealing areas for any grooves worn in the machined surfaces. Any deep grooves is a need of replacement of the hard parts as well. Those deep grooves will cause the seals to fail prematurely. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

I took the lower half of the swivel joint apart today The upper and lower fiber washers thst back the o rings are shot Is doing a rebuild w new orings and fiber washers a sucessful repair new one is 1500$ older high hour machine , looking to prolong its life not make it new

Absolutely. I would not recommend replacing the swivel hardware components in less you have deep grooves that won't hold a seal. Some shallow grooves as long as you can't catch your fingernail on it in such a way that it could ruin the seal, are sometimes okay. Rule of thumb is usually anything that you can catch your fingernail on is not good and should be addressed.

thanks ill order up the parts and give it a shot , No grooves both pieces are still smooth got it before it self destructed , Thanks again for the help. Since your here any tricks for re assemble oil everything good try not to roll any rings the best you can ?

Just make sure you use plenty of assembly grease on the seals and components to assist in assembly. Be sure when putting the two sections together that everything is going together straight. Use a large rubber mallet or dead blow hammer when you can't push it together with your own weight. The rest is pretty straightforward. Make sure there are no burs anywhere where the O-rings ride and everything is very clean.