Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am replacing the Transmission on a D6N and am looking for…

Second opinion] I am replacing...
Second opinion] I am replacing the Transmission on a D6N and am looking for the procedure on getting the transmission out of the machine. I have the valves out and am trying to figure out how to separate the planetary from the transmission.
7/9/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, please ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

If you post the complete serial number of this machine, I can find an image to help you with this disassembly procedure.

1CAT00D6NJDJY00308This appears to be the same as a D8R but I can't get the gear set to slid back from the transmission, is there something I am missing? both axles are out and I pulled the center shaft. but the gear set on the left side does not want to move.
I am now not at the machine as a storm moved in on us and had to call it a day.
any advise would be helpful.

Ok, thanks. Just to clarify, you are trying to remove the transmission from the tractor but it will not pull out of the case?

I am removing the transmission from the tractor. I am replacing it.
I have not yet attempted to pull out the transmission yet because I still have the left side carrier on the transmission. The gear set that its attached to does not want to slid back to free up the transmission. I have avoided getting to physical with it as they should come back pretty easy in past experiences.

Are you referring to the left final drive and steering gear assembly?

I am looking through the manual and it does not show the need to pull the steering gear adapter inward like the D6R -D8R require.

It does say you must remove the drive shaft and the front carrier plate to remove the transmission.

(this is new to me as I haven't pulled an N transmission yet either, plenty of M and R tractors but no N's)

Oh, wait. It does call it out in the steps but, no image or tool shown.

"Slide the sliding carrier off the bevel gear shaft, if equipped."

all I got was the picture of the toolI will return to this project tomorrow if the weather permits.
Thanks for the advise, I am sure I will be following up with you in the next day or 2

It still comes out the same way, you just use this (shop made) tool to help grab the sliding carrier and then you can pull it into the steering diff and out of the bevel gear.

You could bend a steel rod to do the same thing. It had to be a little longer than the outer axle shaft.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
That what I was thinking but I is not wanting to move, I will give it another shot tomorrow. My tool is a shop made tool, just a pipe with a tab welded on it, always worked before. I must just be hung up. I was second guessing myself because its an N I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Transmission is in, I now have a service codes and I try to plug in cat ET and it will not connect to ecm. But the display is giving me 113 691.05, 113 692.05, 113 693.05 113 694.05 113 695.05, 113 694.06, 036 296.09. the transmission oil level light is on but level is good
I was able to get in an look up what the codes are. All transmission solenoid codes. It doesn't give me a service code indicator light so guessing them are old codes. I still have the transmission oil level light flashing but level is good. Any advice?

If your service port is not working, you can use the 4C8195 control box tool and port to perform all the same functions. (Tool was under $200)

If you have run the tractor and do not get any SERV CODE indicator, then you must have it fixed.

CAT does not have a level warning light. You may be seeing the filter bypass light on. Check the wiring for a short, just unplug the connector and install a jumper wire. If the light goes out, it's a bad switch. If the light stays on, it is bad wiring. (sometimes it could be a stuck valve in the filter but that is rare)

I found it, had a broken wire. It was filter light not level. All is good now.
Thanks

Ok, great. Sorry for the late reply, I have just got back in from a long day.

If you need anything else, please let me know.