Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an SK295 that will not swing. SK295LC 8 serial number…

Hi I have an...

Hi I have an SK295 that will not swing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

SK295LC Mark 8 serial number LB05-U0849

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The machine will swing if I have an assistant hold the lever and I push bucket. He releases it and it moves for a few more seconds. Then brake comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

It made a grinding sound according to the operator.

6/27/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

If you have grinding noises coming from the swing circuit, it is possible that the swing gearbox has failed or swing motor itself or both. At the base of the boom there should be a cover to inspect the swing cavity Grease. This is usually maybe a little bit over than an inch deep and you want to check to see if it looks soupy or if it's decent grease. If it is to be looking like it mixed with oil, than that's an indication of a failed swing gearbox and swing pinion seal or bearing. Drain the swing gearbox and see if there's any metal charts or debris coming from the drain oil. Also check to see if there is any sign of metal debris in the swing relief valves and control valves. Look for damaged O-rings or other problems with the relief and control valves. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician