Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a bobcat 334G mini excavator. I was working on a

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a bobcat 334G mini excavator. I was working on a slope the past weekend and while I was cutting in a new road the excavator made 3 audible beeps and then the engine shut off. The Red exclamation light came on. In the manual it states: Error with one or more engine, hydraulic, or fuel functions.
Low fuel, engine speed high, coolant temperature high
Coolant temperature or engine speed extremely high - Engine will stop in
10 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The excavator has been sitting for a day now and engine temp and coolant temp are not the issue because it still gives the same 3 audible beeps and the engine shuts off after about 2 seconds. There is a full tank of gas and all liquid levels are normal.

6/25/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

What is the serial number?

Fault codes?

If all levels are good and you have confirmed that it is not overheating, there is no low oil pressure problems, it leans towards a possible wiring or sensor problem if you have confirmed that none of these things are actually an active issue. Thoroughly inspect your wiring to all the sensors and your connector pins in the wiring harness for any corrosion or damage that would cause an open circuit. If the wiring is okay, it is possible to have a faulty sensor. You will need to get the actual fault code information to know exactly what circuit is detecting a problem and then troubleshoot that individually. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician
Hey Dan,Thanks for the effort. When I wrote this I didn't know how to find the fault codes. I called Bobcat and they walked me through it. It had a fault code of 14-03 whick indicates a fuel solinoid shutoff. So either it was the relay or the solinoid. I swapped a known working relay into the fuel relay position and no change. So I took the chance that the only other option was a $211 part that was a 3 hour round trip away. Did the trip and installed the new solinoid and it started right up.Thought it would be helpful for others to know.