Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Challenger 45 transmission. Cat challenger 45 transmission…

Challenger 45 transmission....

Challenger 45 transmission. Cat challenger 45 transmission wont engage forward or reverse and I have a dead digital dash display . Are they connected and/or is this the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

That's another problem. No serial number tag. Only engine I.d. tag.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have blinking lights on both the ccm and the module on the right control area.

6/20/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

If you post the engine serial number, I might find the rest of the information based on that number.

Then I can help you better with this issue.

98z13767 engine serial num.

Here is what I found. This could be related to the Auxiliary #1 Relay. See the details below.

1DR00995 CHALLENGER 45

98Z13767 ENGINE

1DR00995

Arrangement No:(###) ###-####/p>

Mfg Model: 45

Mktg Model Year: 1995

Prod Family: AG Ag Tractors

Sims Prod Family: 05 Belted Tractors/Combines

Source Facility: FP Ford New Holland, Winnepeg

Aux #1 Relay Procedure Lost Power Or EMC, RHC And CCM Not Operating

If the EMC, RHC and CCM are not operating, and/or the Right Hand Console, Turn Signals and Front Console circuits have lost power do the following.

1. Check the following fuses for continuity; Main fuse #1 (MF2); Key Start fuse (F26); Right Hand Console fuse (F21); Turn Signal fuse (F24); Front Console fuse (F22) and the VPWR fuse (F23). Is any fuse open circuit?

* YES, replace fuse, operate machine, and check fault codes. If machine operates and no fault codes are present, the repair is complete. If new fuse fails check for short circuit.

* NO, go to Step 2.

2. Check wiring for continuity per schematic. Is there continuity?

* YES, check Key Start switch and Aux #1 relay for proper operation. Replace component if failed. Operate machine and if no fault codes are present, the repair is complete.

* NO, repair or replace open wiring. Operate machine, and check fault codes. If machine operates and no fault codes are present, the repair is complete.

You're not understanding. The dash is dead and I cant see any fault codes. I cant find any diagnostic connectors anywhere. The machine starts and all fuses and relays have been tested good. The dash is a control module but I dont know if it controls transmission functions or not.Also, these modules are very old school. They have red flashing lights on them as if for blink codes. Similar to the old Nissan and Toyota modules.

Have you checked the relay? Is it possible the power also goes to the dash since the F22 fuse is for the dash?

This is the testing procedure to find problems when you do not have fault codes.

Find this relay and test these fuses is were we need to start.

I worked on these at a CAT dealer for several years. They are all but gone from my area so, it is rare for me to work on one now but, I am familiar with these machines and their ECMs.

F22 has charging voltage, tested all relays because unsure which one controls it. I dont have a wiring diagram and the dealer doesn't know what this is either. They want to throw parts at it.I have voltage at the dash connector but don't know what each wire position is.Does the dash module control transmission function?

No, the dash is more a readout only. The CCM is the main module for all functions.

If those fuses are good, next try these steps.

Transmission Power Relay Lost Power To One Or More Operations

If there is no power to one or more of the following items; Transmission Solenoid 1, Transmission Solenoid 2, PTO relay, Transmission Directional Interrupt relay, Radar, Transmission Oil Switch Right Hand Track switch, Steering Filter switch or Hydraulic Filter switch do the following.

1. Check the following fuses for continuity; Main Transmission fuse (MF3); Key Start fuse (F26); Transmission Solenoid 1 fuse (F18); Transmission Solenoid 2 fuse (F19); PTO relay, Transmission Directional Interrupt relay, Radar, Transmission Oil switch Right Hand Track switch, Steering Filter switch and Hydraulic Filter fuse (F20). Is any fuse open circuit?

* NO, go to Step 2.

* YES, check Key Start switch and Transmission Power relay for proper operation. Replace component if failed. Operate machine and if no fault codes are present, the repair is complete.

There are blink lights on the ccm. What are they supposed to show if there is a problem? They both flash opposite each other dimly.Fuses and relays good.

Here is the operation of the ECMs and info on the CCM lights.

There are three electronic control modules on the machine.

* The Electronic Monitoring Center (EMC) module. The EMC is located in the front dash.

* The Right Hand Controls (RHC) module. The RHC is mounted in the right side console. It controls many of the machine functions initiated by the operator.

* The Chassis Control Module (CCM). The CCM is secured to the cab floor behind the operator's seat. The CCM controls: transmission shifting, the three-point hitch function and the draft control function.

NOTE: Two different part numbers exist for the CCM, one for machines with the three-point hitch function and one for machines without the three-point hitch function.

All of the modules communicate information from sensors, switches and operator controls to each other and to displays or actuators as directed. The operator instructs the electronic modules what to do, the modules interpret the commands and direct the machine subsystems to complete the functions as required.

All the modules communicate information using a communications network technology known as Controller Area Network (CAN).

This technology allows modules to perform many functions through the use of shared input and output resources, thus minimizing sensors and wiring components. In addition, modules check for faults and display or store this information as required for reference in servicing. Two shielded signal wires of the CAN connect all the modules together.

On the cover of the CCM and RHC modules, there is a red lamp(s). The state of each red lamp indicates the status of the module.

* FLASH - means the module is operating normally.

* CONSTANT ON - means the module is malfunctioning.

* OFF - means the module is not receiving power (key start switch off) or the Controller Area Network (CAN) is malfunctioning.

The machine electronic system has 12 service modes to allow the technician to do most troubleshooting without disconnecting connectors or modules. An additional feature of the electronic system is the Diagnostic And Maintenance (DAM) connector. The DAM connector permits external diagnostic equipment to communicate with the modules. The external diagnostic equipment is used for more detailed testing, programming or calibration. The DAM connector is located next to the main fuse panel.

NOTE: The RHC and CCM do not contain any serviceable or mechanical components. The only serviceable components on the EMC are the lamps. The modules should never be opened or disassembled.

Six harnesses are used to power all the machine circuits. The harnesses are: Cab Main (CM), Cab Roof (CR), Front Main (FM), Front Light (LT), Right Hand Console (RH) and the Rear Main (RM). All connectors are identified by the letter C and three digits such as C007. The wiring harness has both color and letter identifiers on each wire.

The Cab Main (CM) harness utilizes a Main Fuse Panel (MFP) between the Main Distribution Panel (MDP) and the two batteries. The MFP is located at he base of the right console and near the cab floor. The MFP houses eight large fuses to protect the Main Distribution Panel (MDP). The MDP is located behind a cover on the right pillar within the cab. The MDP has thirty fuse locations and seventeen relay locations.

NOTE: In the event of an electrical failure in the transmission shifting system, a special tool can be used to temporarily operate the transmission. The tool is called a "limp home switch and wire assembly". For more information, see the topic Transmission System Electrical Component Operation in the service manual module SENR8304, Systems Operation, Testing And Adjusting, Transmission.

Lights on ccm flashing. Light rhcm flashing. ALL uses test good with power at all. Power to back of dash in four wires. 2 wires show about 2.4 to 2.6 volts. Can you send me a pin out for dash? Can the dash be connected to this problem? This guy was using it with no problems then started it up and had no dash function and transmission wouldnt engage.
It talks about a bypass for limp home. Is that something I can do without the special tool?

I will need to do some digging to see if the tool info is still available. I saw one when we first started working on these but, the guy that had it has retired and I haven't seen it since.

I can find a part number but that is all they show. I am don't see it as available anymore either.

The number is ***** No letters are available to show how it is built. You might try a Ford New Holland dealer as the transmission is from there Genesis series tractors. They may have the same tool under a different name.

This detail is available about using the tool but, not how it is powered.

If the Electronic Transmission Control experiences a failure, the machine can be moved by using the limp home mode procedure. A wire assembly and a switch are required in order to activate the limp home mode. Once the limp home mode is activated, the machine can only be driven in the F5 speed and the R7 speed. However, any speed can be selected by connecting to the proper solenoids. See Systems Operation/Testing and Adjusting, "Clutch Engagement" for more information. When the switch and wire assembly are used there will be almost no modulation of the clutch engagement. The shock on the drive train can be lessened by keeping the engine at low idle. The on/off switch can be turned on and off rapidly until the machine is moving. Also, if you are steering right or steering left with a engaging clutch, you may lessen the shock on the drive train.

It's okay. I found the problem . The emc is integral with transmission function. Unswitched power was dead. I added power and dash came alive. Transmission is working now. Thanks for the wiring diagram.

Wow! awesome find. I am glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
You're awesome Don. Great working with you. You saved my bacon buddy.Don dug down deep to help me find a problem that my local dealer couldn't solve. He came through big time!! Thanks again. Andrew Rees 30 year master technician.

Thank you for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated.

No. You deserve it.

Thanks, ***** ***** me earn it though. It has been a while since I went through those old books.