Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 257B MTL 2006 model and just today while using it…

I have a 257B...

I have a 257B MTL 2006 model and just today while using it the pilot valves on the work tool side acts like it is stuck in float

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 257B high flow. I don't have the serial number off hand

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, just need some trouble shooting questions

6/9/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Does the joystick feel limp or is it just the loader arms that feel like they are in float?

The joystick is somewhat limpwhen untouched it acts like a load is on the hydro pump

Ok, thanks. If the boot has failed and dirt has gotten into the valves under the handle, it could just be a stuck plunger.

Inspect it to see if the plunger is stuck down and not touching the rockers of the lever.

----

What do you mean by untouched? Is it forcing the loader arms down? What happens if you roll the bucket to dump? Do the arms come up like in float?

If you take your hand off the control, it acts like you are using pressure (forcing a control) and it is by passing. The roll and curl function operate fine. No, the arms do not come up like in float

Does it change from cold oil to hot oil and get worse?

No, hot or cold doesn't matter

If I am understanding you correctly when you lift up on the loader and let go of the lever, it will come back down and you will hear the engine load up like you are pushing down on the lever?

If I lift up the arms, they will free fall then once they are all the way down it then loads up like the lever is being pushed down

Did you try to switching the hydraulic lockout switch while it was in the air to see if it had any effect on the loader arms?

the lockout switch will hold the arms up

Excellent, then you have narrowed down the issue to the joystick pilot valve. It must have trash in it and has a stuck stem under the plunger. This part is internal and you cannot move it from the outside.

If this is a working machine and you need it fixed quickly, just install a new work tool pilot valve.

If this is just an old beater you have, you can try a repair kit cartridge for the down stem but, I have never had much luck repairing these and parts are not always available.

This is an excellent machine, you wouldn't have a part number would you for the work tool pilot valve

Not without the complete machine serial number. Too many changes to just guess at.

Standby, I will get the serial numberCAT0257BTSLK04486

It looks like the pilot valve has been updated to a new number. Use 299-9119 to replace the older 228-9228 valve.

You will reuse the handle.

Ok, this is a long shot question..you have a idea of cost

Not really. I am thinking the last one I got was near $700 but, I don't remember which type of handle it was. It might have been a C model and they are electronic, not hydraulic. sorry, it has been a few years. I work mostly on large equipment these days.

Got ya, I'll call my local cat place tomorrow and see what it will run

Ok, great. I am glad I could help you.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Thank you very much

You're welcome!

Where do I go to rate you

If you don't see a link on the page, you will get an email with a link that will ask you to rate the service.

Ok, thanks again

You are very welcome. I am glad I could help.

Thanks, Don

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician