Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a caterpillar exavator long reach 325bl serial number…

Customer Question
Hi I have a caterpillar exavator...
Hi
I have a caterpillar exavator long reach 325bl serial number 6dn01000 dealing with track problem..the tracks are not turning for the side and not going fast forward,reverse moves well.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/7/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

If you have around 7000 hours, the first item I would try is to reseal the swivel assembly.

Have you taken pressure readings? Is the main relief set correctly?

The machine has more hours than that,the swivel does not leak should i reseal anyway?
no havent look the presure because i have got a new pump repleaced on the machinehow should i set the main relief correctly i think it has been messed before

It is not external leaks that affect travel, it is the internal seals that cause the issue. They will fail over time and that time is impacted by heat. The more the machine is walked and turned in heavy conditions, the hotter the swivel will get and that will damage the seals. 7000 hours is an average in my area, most newer machines last longer but B models often fail around that time.

Install pressure gauges at the pump outlet and stall the boom or stick and record the pressures. 4900 psi is the target pressure +/- 150 psi. If it needs adjusting, only turn the setscrew at the end of the main relief. This is the tall relief in the center of the main control valve assembly.

Hi
at the moment i see leaks at the crosover relief valve you think that can be causing the issue i have..find attached photo of the crossover reliedlf valve.

General an external leak is only affecting one side and one direction. Not turning in either direction is the swivel or pump pressure too low.

Looks like someone has tampered with the factory setting. A simple O-ring should fix that leak.

on the rigth side it turnes but slow.and the leak on the crossover relief valve i have is on the left side.

Yes, that points to the swivel.

yeah i understand now..and on the valve block is there any valve to adjust the track besides the main relief?

No, those reliefs on the crossover relief valve are for the travel circuit reliefs. All circuit reliefs are set higher than the main relief.

The only way to test them is to set the main relief up higher than the circuit so the pump can reach the circuit pressure setting. Then the track must be blocked and then the pressure can be reached for the proper setting. After the circuit reliefs are set, then the main relief must be set back to the spec or it will damage the circuit reliefs or the pump.

i opened the crossover relief valve and i found the back up seal damaged..so what do you sugest me to do first?

If you did not turn the setscrew of the relief, it should still be at the correct setting. Since you found damage, you should replace the seal and backup ring. It is not common to find those seals on the circuit reliefs damaged unless they are being removed and installed. The backup ring itself will not cause a leak, it is only there to hold the O-ring seal in place.

Since you don't know what your pump pressure is, test it first to verify the pump output is correct. If pump pressure is not correct, adjust the main relief. If it is correct, proceed with the swivel rebuild.

okay..as far as i know when i a send the pump to rebuild they tested and setted the presure acording to the machine spec.if i opened the swivel must i repleace all the seals?

The pump outputs are set on the bench during rebuild which mostly controls flow, not pressure. Pump pressure is always set by the main relief.

Yes, always replace all seals whenever any component is repaired. I would not want to repeat a repair over a $5 seal. The swivel only has about ten seals and rings inside, the last one I did had about $200 in seals.

alright i will try do some adjusment on the main relief valve if that does not solve the problem..and then i will rebuild the swivel.thanks for your time
will be in touch

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

i forgot to explain you..when i put reverse on one side and forward on another side it dicreases the power of the engine.

Yes, that is normal. It requires the most power (pressure) to turn the machine. That is why it is important to know the pump pressures are set correctly.

If you are saying the engine is stalling, then replace your air and fuel filters to see if that helps.

wich one of this outputs must i read the presure when i stall the boom?and if the presure is bellow 4900psi i only adjust on the main relief valve?

Always check both. Boom uses both. Main relief will control both. Yes, adjustment is only needed when pressure is below 4900 psi +/- 150 psi so, you can actually see it as low as 4750 and still be "in spec" This variance is due to the temperature of the oil. Only adjust the setting with the oil at normal operating temperature.

Try stick out pressures too. You must hold the lever at full stroke with the engine at full throttle. Boom and stick will use both pumps at full lever stroke.

Does one track not move at all?

Do the bucket and swing work correctly?