Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I recently purchased a used Caterpillar D4C Series III

I recently purchased a...

I recently purchased a used Caterpillar D4C Series III machine # 6YL00776 bulldozer with power shift . After putting it to some basic use, I saw that if I pushed up against something solid, like a stump for example, the engine RPMs would stay constant but the tracks would stall. Is there something that can be adjusted to resolve this? Or am I facing replacement of steering clutches or tranny problems?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think this it all for the moment

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

It could be either slipping but, steering clutches usually make noise when they slip.

An easy check would be to remove the floor plate and watch the drive shaft. If you see it turn when the machine is stationary and the tracks are not moving, then the steering clutches are slipping. If it is not turning, then the transmission would be slipping.

NOTE, this is a torque converter drive and it sill stall the converter without killing the engine as a direct drive tractor does. Engine speed will be around 1500 to 1600 rpm and hold there when it is in a stall. It the torque converter is failing, the engine will not slow down and remain 1800-1900 rpm. You will notice the oil heat quickly and without much loading.

A normal converter can heat in a stall but will not heat the oil in normal pushing.

Ok. I'll remove the floor plate and watch the drive shaft. I have also noticed that the steering seems erratic as well. Sometimes very responsive, and at other times, slow. The person I bought the dozer from suggested that I adjust the brakes but that seems somewhat unrelated to me. Your thoughts?

The brake bands are to be adjusted to make turning easier. The key is, when do the steering clutches release. The normal is for the pedal to be halfway down and that track will stop pulling. Then the other half of pedal travel will apply the brake. Is the brake does not hold, then the tractor will not turn tight and the band should be adjusted.

The important thing to watch is when the steering clutch releases. You can push against something and then push the pedal halfway, the track should stop pulling and you may see it go slack. If the clutches do not release properly, then brake adjustment is not the problem. You may need repairs to the steering valve roller and bearing actuator cams and linkage.

OK, I will first take a look at the drive shaft and see what it is doing when the tracks stall. More later. Thanks.

Glad to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

I just ran it and wasn't able to stall the tracks completely this time. Only the left side stalled so the drive shaft was still turning. I did notice though that at least once when I pressed the right steering brake, that the drive shaft did stop turning while the engine was running at about 3/4 throttle. I dont have a tach on this machine so I cant be sure of the rpms.

Try shifting to a higher gear to put more load on the clutches.

The right if you press both brakes (or third center pedal, the steering clutches should stay engaged and the brakes will still hold the tractor. This may help see if the steering clutches are holding.

You may need to locate a magnetic mount photo tach to see the engine speed to verify operation. Your dealer should have this tool, we call it a multi tack.

I'll track down a photo tach and verify rpm. In the mean time I will check the brake adjustment and see when the clutch releases. Tomorrow I will go and run the machine against a tree stump again to see if I can stall the tracks and watch to see if the drive shaft stops too. If it does stop turning, does that pretty much mean transmission work, torque converter removal/replacement, etc?

If the driveshaft does not turn, then the steering clutches are holding. If the rpm is too high under a stall, the transmission pressures need to be checked to see if it is causing a slip.

If the torque converter is constantly heating the oil and it never cools down properly, then it may need a converter rebuild. But, first, always have the pressures checked to see if it could be pressure related before planning for a rebuild of either the transmission or torque converter.

Do you have any guidance for me as to how to take the pressure readings? I am pretty much a do it yourselfer but haven't yet acquired service manuals for this machine.

You can start simply by installing a 500 psi gauge on the port located on the top of the filter housing. It will give a basic pressure of the pump and if you shift the transmission a large leak will cause a drop in pressure. For detailed testing, a manual is the way to go.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Ok, thank you. I'll be back tomorrow probably.

ok