Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a samsung se-280 that will not start. i replaced the…

Customer Question
I have a samsung...

I have a samsung se-280 that will not start. i replaced the batteries and starter after both being bad. Now, I can turn ignition switch and hear a "click" from a solenoid near rear but starter does not engage. I can jump the starter solenoid and get it to spin. would this mean that my brand new starter/solenoid is bad?? this is first try after installing it (china made starter). I tried jumping battery relay and disconnecting alternator also.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Samsung SE 280, s/n HBY348

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/25/2019
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 3 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

Hi My name is Dan, so my first thought is when you turn to start position is power supplied to the start solenoid small terminal and is there a ground on the solenoid? I't possible the relay is bad if its not transferring battery power to the starter when energised and a good ground.

If you are speaking of the round 4 terminal battery relay, im not sure if its bad. I hold the key to start and tried jumping relay but nothing. No spark, no starter engage. If i turn key to on and jump starter at its solenoid the starter engages.

Hi thanks for the reply back. The large round one is the bell relay or looks like a bell and is the main power so not that one. However there is a relay for the start circuit sometimes a safety relay so the machine wont be started while already running. Can you send a picture of your relay configurations. I will look for schematic.

Are you still in need of assistance with unit I have a schematic for the start circuit.

I have not made it back to the machine. This is an older machine se 280. No lc or lc2. Also running in manual. Book doesnt show a safety relay, just bell relay.
The machine is an LC-2. I thought it wasnt. Thx Dan!

Hi, that looks like the preheater relay the start relay is smaller and possibly near hyd pump or bell relay other side. If you energize that relay i suspect the preheater is what gets energized. You can verify with meter. DO you see any other relays in that area?

Also the starter relay will have a thick white wire and red wire on opposing main lugs. It does list the preheater as an option so that relay could be the start relay. What color are the wires going to it?

should be red and black (small) black (small) red (thick) white (thick) so looking at the picture some of those colors match up I just can make out the other ones. Using a screwdriver or channel locks and touching the two main lugs on relay together will bypass and engage starter if wiring is intact.

okay its the start relay then. You can use another 24 volt relay from cat or another vendor it doesn't have to be samsung. So verify the small black wire has ground, the black and red should get power when turning key to start. and you should have battery power on red wire all the time.

Dan, it was the start relay. Local dealer found same kind replacement for $250+s&h. I used 24V replacement from Big truck parts house for $24. Thx!!