Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a mitey mab 8b skid steer i just had both hydrostats.

I have a mitey...

I have a mitey mab 8b skid steer i just had both hydrostats

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Rebuilt it seems to take at least a half hour of turning half circles and running the loader up and down before the right side will start to work and propel the tractor going straight

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes i have to go out to the garage to get the serial number be back in a minute

5/21/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

What is your serial number?

I would first check inside your hydraulic filter to see if you are finding any signs of fine metal or debris within the hydraulic system. The complete system should of been completely cleaned out and flushed out after the initial failure and at the same time of the rebuild. If it was cleaned out then you should expect to see little to no metal in the system. If it is found, it's an indication that there is a problem with either that drive motor or the pump that drives that side. It is possible that the swash plate could be sticking or the pump control. I would also check for any excessive case drain on your drive motors. You should have little to no case drain pressure when deadheading that function and running a hose into an empty bucket to check the volume of case drain. If it comes out under high pressure it's an indication of excessive internal leakage within that drive motor. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

ok i will cut the filter apart and have a look not sure i understand how todeadhead a function to check for excessive case pressure??not now please send a step by step testing process for this case drain item and i will do that.thank you jc

There is no step-by-step process in any shop manual. It is the process that I've already described in my prior post. You prevent travel by pinning the track on track machines, or pushing up against the loading dock or equivalent. You would disconnect the case drain hose from the drive motor and then run a hose from that port of the drive motor into a bucket, engage that drive, monitor the volume of oil. If it comes out under high pressure, that drive motor is bad. If it's a very low volume trickle, that is normal.

Dan, Technician