Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Wont crank with key can jump solenoid and will start and…

Customer Question
Wont crank with key...

Wont crank with key can jump solenoid and will start and run.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2004 cat 938g loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The solenoid in the box on the rt side of loader has been replaced .starts and runs if I jump the solenoid the green wire is hot when I turn the key not sure where the white wire goes

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/30/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

What is the complete serial number of your machine? I need to know so I can find the correct schematic.

I see no one could help you earlier, I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat and work through this issue if you would like. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

I just saw this question as it was sent back up the queue after not being seen earlier.

This question was just sent back up the queue and it just became available to me. I am sorry for the long delays.

the serial # is CAT0938GJRCD01008 AND NO ONE HAS HELPED ME YET.
just tell me where the wires go and from
We jumped the starter because of a need to use machine and it wont go into any gear the back up alarm sounds and no reverse and no forward.
if you sent me something I cant open it

Sorry for the late reply. I work in the field during the day and answer questions at night. I hope this is not too much of an inconvenience for you.

I believe the wires you are describing are for the start relay. The green wire should be marked 306 and is the power from the powertrain ECM.

The white wire should be marked 975 and is a "floating" ground for the powertrain ECM, the engine ECM, all the solenoids, and some indicators. It is also the floating ground for the backup alarm. This white wire is in every harness and ties to many different components.

Since the transmission is not working, I would suggest you begin checking voltage and grounds to the powertrain ECM. The J1 connector has the most wires and provides the power to the ECM. Battery + voltage is on pins #1 and #6 via a white wire marked 164. Ground is via pins #2 and #5 and is a black wire marked A273.

The battery + voltage is powered when the key switch is on. Check the powertrain fuse #15 for the transmission and left brake pedal.

Verify the ground has good continuity to the chassis ground. This ECM is under the right side of the cab below the fuse panel.