Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I purchased a Older forklift. It has a hercules flathead 6…

I purchased a Clark...

I purchased a Clark Older forklift. It has a hercules flathead 6 cyl. motor.I was told it was a C-500-155D. The problem is it does not want to steer. If you rev it up it will start to steer but if you let go of the steering wheel it trys going the opposite way. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

4/24/2019
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

Just Answer might prompt you for a phone call,

that request is not from me and is not necessary.

What you are describing is a faulty gearbox.

I suggest rebuilding it or get a reman.

I hope this helps you.

Wayne, Journeyman
Hi Wayne, nice to meet you. I did not include that the steering is assisted with hydraulics. There is a pump on the backside of the mast pump that is serving a "steering Cylinder". My thoughts were that the steering cylinder or steering pump could be the problem. I am pretty good with hydraulics,but am unsure of how this power steering actually is in place. I do not want to try and act as if I know. My business is with hydraulically operated lift gates on race car transporters.What could I do to determine mechanical failure of steering box versus a bad steering cylinder or a bad steering pump?

Morning.

Thank you for the response.

Measure the pressure at the Steering pump, looking for 110-125 PSI at idle.

Up to 300Psi at 1200 RPM.