Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My case 850 dozer 1982 model, torque converter oil heats up…

My case 850 dozer 1982...
My case 850 dozer 1982 model, torque converter oil heats up after approx 30 mins run time , bought this machine from an auction , had a blown torque converter seal so had it changed , ran great but after about a half hour heats up and does not push move track or steer correctly so also new charge pump, new pump screen, all new filters changed ,oil changed three times in transmission, new relief valves installed , cleaned radiator , motor temp stays in green while converter temp rises put all levers in neutral temp comes right down , went from 10 w oil to heavier weight oil it lasts longer acts better but after it heats up no power and same thing any ideas , Mike
4/19/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Backing up on troubleshooting with this, is to open up the original filters to inspect for any sign of fine metal or debris that would flag in internal mechanical failure requiring further disassembly and bench inspection for repair or rebuild. If any of this is found, it will need to be taken apart for further inspection. Also, initially checking for discoloration in the oil such as milkiness resulting from water or moisture intrusion, dark for discoloration from heat or oil breakdown, burnt smell, etc.. All of these things are important to verify first thing. I would go back to what you found initially the first time you changed the oil and if you have those filters, I would open them up to check inside to see what you find. If all of this is clean, it's a great idea to have your pressures tested and verified whether or not they are within factory specs. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thank you will do , get back to your asap
Checked for the old filter no go it was replaced by someone before I got it ,we changed the oil because it was a little milky yellow , also discovered that the unloader valve was not reinstalled in the top of filter , so we bought a new one and a new filter , it has approx 10 hours on this oil change , am going to pull these filters and ck for anything will keep you posted , thanks Mike

thanks for the update Mike. It is a pleasure to help.

Dan, Technician
Dan , opened up the filter , paper pne ,clean, i am gonaa cyt it open , also cking the screen on the charge pump intake side, oil does not smell burnt but it is a little yellow

Thanks for the update. Yes check those things and let me know the results.. I believe the next step will be to get your pressures checked and verified if they are within OEM specifications. I do not have the shop manual and or I would offer you those specifications. If you already have a shop manual, you would be able to find the procedures and those specs right in the manual.

I have the service manual , and a test guage will do the pressure test asap also i noticed that the pressure reading on The guage fluctuates pretty good as the converter temp rises i am taking it easy with the dozer too running it at approx16-1700 rpms and shoving some small loads of fill it cant even climb on top of a pile of dirt ?

Check to see what your pressures are in all gear positions to see if pressure is dropping off in any particular position that would flag internal leakage within the clutches, etc.

If you find any signs of aluminum in the screen or filter, it would point towards a converter issue.

Will do thank you

Pleasure to help.

Oh wow. That does not look good at all. It even makes it harder to see any potential metal in there with all the milkiness. I would check with a magnet to see if you can pick up any metal and also you may be able to feel some grit in your fingers as well.