Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Traction lock has the Bobcat 763 Stuck. Changed the relay…

Customer Question
Traction lock has the...

Traction lock has the Bobcat 763 Stuck. Changed the relay which worked the last time this happened. No fix

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

763 G model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the traction lock relay.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/19/2019
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 3 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, could you give a better description of what you mean when you say the traction lock has stuck? Just what is the traction lock doing or not doing. Do you hear three beeps from the alarm during operation?

When it is working normally you turn off the parking brake, back up a bit and then you can move forward. I turn off the parking brake and it will not go backward as normal. Lights are normal.

So you're saying the traction lock does not release when you depress the green "push to operate" button? You stated it won't go backward as normal when you push the button to release brake, does it go forward?

There is no push to operate button. The system works normally in the background. You turn off the parking brake and then back up. You hear a small click and then you can move freely. I cannot move backward to relaese the traction mechanism. It is really a hydraulic lock. Stupid sytem with known issues.

If you don't have a green "push to operate" button on the left panel then you don't have a G series as you described in your first post. You possibly have a C or F series machine, BICS controller mounted to the cab back panel to the right of the seat and a traction lock override button on the left control panel. No wheeled Bobcat has a hydraulic lock on the drive system, they use a mechanical lock. The only Bobcat machines that have a hydraulic lock on the drive is the track loaders. I would need a lot more detailed information about your machine to be able to help, especially what series your 763 is, they produced the 763 in the C, F, and G series machines.

ok thanks. I'll go out to the machine tomorrow and get the series and serial.

Just so you know, all G series machines have a green "push to operate" button on the left cab panel along with the BICS panel just above it. C and F series machines don't have a push to operate button on the left panel, they have a traction lock override button on the left panel, BICS controller is mounted to the cab back wall behind you're right elbow if you're sitting in the seat.

C series machine, rear door is a two piece fabricated door, profile is all flat panels and angles, bottom corner angles are welded, top piece of door is painted black with the work lights mounted and it's bolted to the bottom portion of the orange door.

F series machine, rear door is one piece stamped steel, rounded profile at corners, all orange except for maybe a black stripe portion where the work lights are mounted.

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out i the am and repost. Thanks for the help.

I'll be a bit busy tomorrow, but I'll be back here tomorrow evening. Just be sure and give me as much detail about what the machine is doing as you can, after all, I'm not there at the machine, I can't see or hear what it is or is not doing, I need your eyes and ears for that.

I'll be travelling but will leave the info here.

Got it

Looks like the second one.

Ok, I needed to verify that because some of the very early G series machines used the older style panel, but you're has the newer G series panel. And that's where I'm confused where you said in an earlier post that your machine didn't have the green "Press to Operate" button. That button is on all G series panels and you should be able to drive the machine until you push that button to release the parking brake. That button also unlocks the BICS locks on the main control valve as well. When you start up the machine and drop the seat bar you should see the seat bar LED light up on the BICS panel. You won't see the lift/tilt or traction lock (parking brake) LED's light up until you push the green "Press to Operate Loader" button. If your machine is doing otherwise then something is abnormal to the way a Bobcat is designed to work.

Additionally, the BICS system on the G series machines was a big upgrade with onboard diagnostics. Any system that the main controller monitors, which the traction lock is one, if there's a fault you should hear three beeps from the alarm, that's alerting you that there's an active fault that the main controller is seeing and you push and hold down the headlight button to view the code(s) in the hour meter display. Keep in mind you have to retrieve fault codes when they happen, if you shut off the ignition then it wipes all fault codes from the main controller.

Sorry, I meant to say above that you "should not" be able to drive the machine until you push the "press to operate" button, for some reason the website won't let me edit my post, I get an error.

Thanks for getting this to me. When I get a chance I'll start it up and see if I can pull codes.

Ok, and just to let you know how the G series BICS system works, the main controller monitors pretty much everything electrical on that machine. The BICS panel in the cab has a microprocessor in the left cab panel that communicates with the main controller mounted in the main frame. When you first power up the machine, even before you start it, you should hear one long beep from the alarm, this is the main controller doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. Once in operation, anytime you hear three short beeps from the alarm, stop, don't shut it down, don't touch anything else, instead, right then, push and hold down the headlight button to bring up the code(s) in the hour meter display that caused the alarm.