Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a market catish -- boom wont swing - i think the

Customer Question
Hi - I...

Hi - I have a gray market cat(###) ###-####ish -- boom wont swing - i think the swing brake is stuck on -- I believe the swing brake assy is bad -- its a rectangular block approx 2x4x3" -- can anyone help me find this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Hi steve - im steve also

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat311

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial # 5pk00277

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/18/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Heavy Equipment. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat and work through this issue if you would like. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

I cannot guaranty I can get accurate information on "grey market" machines. Often they are close to the US versions but, they will be some differences.

It is very, very rare for the swing brake to fail. It is more common for wiring damage to prevent the solenoid from turning on than any other issue.

Does your machine have a "Free Swing" switch on the right console? This will bypass the standard swing brake solenoid and keep the brake released all the time.

Have you tried the backup mode switches? The backup mode will override the ECM control and release the standard swing brake. Turning this on will test the circuit to the swing brake and reveal any issues that would be related to the ECM circuits.

Does your engine AEC (automatic throttle control) work correctly? Often when an ECM circuit is present, the AEC will not function correctly either.

If you can upload a picture of the block you are describing, I can likely tell you what you have.

I have pics - how to upload ?
Your email ?

Please do not post private information on this site, this chat is open to the public for all to see.

You should have a hyper-link (paperclip) that will let you upload from your pc. If you cannot find it, save the image to a phot share site and post a link to that image.