Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 349E L that when you swing either right or left…

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 349E L that when you swing either right or left and then release the controls to neutral, the machine stops and then starts to swing again for about 3-6” more and with the stick out it looks like 3 feet of swing. If it’s on little incline it favors to that side. It blew the hose that feeds hydraulic to the swing motors. Couple months back I found a faulty park brake solenoid cause the machine would lock up. Replaced the solenoid and that fixed it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 349E L. Excavator. Serial number I do not have in hand

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok great

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

O

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/15/2019
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Ok sounds great. I’ll send the serial number in a few minutes

There are a couple of things you want to check for here. Check inside the hydraulic filter for any signs of fine metal or debris that would indicate a potential component failure starting. It will look like fine glitter in the oil. Check the swing relief valves.Check the swing relief valves for damaged O-rings or debris causing them to bypass pressure. It is the relief valves on the swing motor which contribute to braking to cushion and stop your swing. Also the brake clutch pack at the top of the swing motor is spring engaged and hydraulic pressure released to hold the machine from swinging. Be sure that there is not still pressure getting to the brake causing the swing to release. Also check the ports to the valve for signs of met that would flag or indicate potential failure at the swing motor or swing brake. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Filter checks ok. The four relief valves all check on and I replaced the o ring on each, I’m not sure how to test for pressure after joys have been released to neutral? Also does each swing gear have a brake? Should I take all lines off and pull the top half of each off? Inspect?

You would need to go to a hydraulic shop and get some tee fittings to adapt a pressure gauge in line. Then you would deadhead that function to read the pressures. You will be using a gauge double the pressure you are reading. If you are reading 2200 psi, a 5000 psi gauge will be suitable. Same goes for 250 psi. At 250 psi, a 500 psi gauge is suitable. The further you get away from the middle range, the less accurate the readings will be. Anywhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of the gauge scale is good for measure.

On the top of the hydraulic motor there should be a cover. There should be a clutch pack at the top under the cover.. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

I found all the hoses were loose as well. I’ll look at the schematic and try and find the lines for brake and try and retro fit a gauge.

Sounds good.

Really appreciate your help.

It is a pleasure.

the operator explained to me that it swings only to the right after going back to neutral. Never to left. So when barely moving the joy to swing left and back to neutral, the machine stops swing, but then swings right only
Is there a brake in the left and the right? If so when release joys to neutral same amount of pressure applied to both? If it’s swinging just right when controls are put to neutral and there in fact two brakes that would mean that hydraulic pressure is being leaked or bypassed into both

On machines that have two swing motors, problem could be in both. You should remove the swing relief valve cartridges from the swing motors and inspect for damaged O-rings or debris causing them to stick open. Change the O-rings and clean out any debris. If damage is found, you may need to replace the relief cartridge.

Where are these?

They should be right on the swing motor itself towards the top.

I pulled the relief valves all four. 2 per motor. Replaced the one o ring. They all looked good.

Swap the ones from one swing motor over to the other side and see if the problem reverses to the other direction.

Ok so I should pull all four apart? Keep them marked and separated obviously. Would one set effect both motors?

I would mark them. Then swap to the other swing motor. But reversed when you do. I would also take a closer look to make sure the valve is working internally and not sticking or is free from debris.

These are a cushion that takes the shock load to stop or slow down the swing motor in either direction.

I pushed them in and all felt the same but I didn’t pull apart. Am now
They all seem ok.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Doing all new o rings and back up seals, will know tomorrow if anything changes

Sounds good. Pleasure to help.

far both relief valves on right swing motor, prints are hard and no good, missing the back up rings as well

That is not good. See if you get the right backup rings and seals. Also check for scoring in the valve because if you cease scuffing or scoring that would indicate wear of the machined surfaces , it may be better to replace the cartridge rather than trying to reseal them. If there's no scuff or score marks and everything cleans up well then it may be okay to try a seal kit if available.

Yeah all seals available and so far all looking good. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks Dan. You rock

Pleasure to help.

Ok so left swing gear relief valves the inner bore was scored badly on both, right swing good. Rebuilt those, replaced the others. It’s not swinging to the right on its now but it does drift right or left depending on the angle of machine and bucket load
If I just tap the control for swing and it energizes the park brake solenoid the machine will drift to right or left depending on the machine angle then when it de energizes solenoid it stops.
Dan?

Hi, Thank you for the update. I was unavailable from the site yesterday and this morning unfortunately. The swing brake is basically a clutch pack that is spring applied and hydraulic released. Is not a very big clutch pack. It is very possible that the friction disks and steel discs are worn to the point where it will allow the machine to drift. The only way to correct that would be to pull the tops off and inspect your friction disks and steels. The steel discs can usually be reused as long as is no grooves and they aren't warped. Check them on a piece of glass to make sure they set flat on a piece of glass. Any scoring or grooves in the metal ones, replace. Take an O-ring pick or a small screwdriver and see if the friction disks are hardened or brittle. Meaning see if you can flake the friction material off easily with a screwdriver. If so replace all of the friction discs... Only replace the steel discs you have to that are warped or scored.