Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 621B XT wheel loader with no brakes. I don't have…

I have a 621B...

I have a 621B XT wheel loader with no brakes. I don't have any pressure at the quick connect for gauges or at the wheels?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

1997 case 621b xt JEE0053963

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've just tried to see if oil at quick connect and wheels.

1997 case 621b xt JEE0053963
4/10/2019
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 3 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Heavy Equipment. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat and work through this issue if you would like. All experts are not employees, we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

It has been a long time since I worked on a CASE loader but, the brake system is similar to the way CAT does its brakes. It does not use the main hydraulics for brakes but a separate pump mounted on the engine accessory drive. This pump oil still comes from the same tank but it is sent to a brake accumulator valve. Somewhere between the pump and the valve should be a test port to check the pressure. A normal system will build up to about 2100 psi when running and drop to a low pressure of about 1700 psi once the brake accumulators are charged. This pressure is sent to the brake pedal valve and when you pressure the pedal, you may get as much as 1000 psi to the brake disc.

I would try to find a test port from the pump to the brake accumulator valve to see if the pump is working. Or just remove the pump and inspect it for damage.

NOTE, the brake accumulator valves often need rebuilding and may have a rebuild kit available form the dealer.

By the way. It does appear this also uses the brake pump to make pilot pressure for the joystick control lever. If the joystick works normally, then that would point back to the brake accumulator valve as well.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician